New project to start bigger lol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyBa

Looking at the last pic, wouldn't you be best lowering the centre suspension upright and having the "coilovers" at an angle (picture 70's F1 car). Otherwise you'd never get your legs straight ;{), You'd also lose a few lbs too!

OP
OP
B

billym0404

yes i see your point, im going to have to do a rest. i may have to make some big changes here.

AndyBa

I'm envious of people that can weld.
I have 2 x KMX trikes, One I got for £100 but someone had butchered the rear drop-outs...Which lead me to buy KMX number 2 which is was a relatively expensive incomplete wreck (good rear drop-outs!!) and I'm pondering buying a replacement frame/boom and bars for....and make some wheels for...It could get expensive. But Like you, its sometimes about achieving something without buying it off the shelf!

OP
OP
B

billym0404

lol, because of your message, i though mmmmmm you could have a point there. so i have another KMX. ive just been out and put it in place. though it was slightly more forward than its going to be, so about half an inch higher. now when i ride and i may be worng but my legs are never 100% straigh, i leave a slight bend in my knee. the good news is my legs are above it. but i can with a bit of jigging, move the bottom of the shockers out more, also the top arms i have, if i shorten them even by 3/4 of an inch i should be able to drop the high by around 2 inchs. buy an f1 car im guess you mean a double arm. i didnt want to go that way. but your imput is greatly appreciated. as a bit lower will be safer.

OP
OP
B

billym0404

I'm envious of people that can weld.
I have 2 x KMX trikes, One I got for £100 but someone had butchered the rear drop-outs...Which lead me to buy KMX number 2 which is was a relatively expensive incomplete wreck (good rear drop-outs!!) and I'm pondering buying a replacement frame/boom and bars for....and make some wheels for...It could get expensive. But Like you, its sometimes about achieving something without buying it off the shelf!

KMX wont sell a frame in the UK, they do in the USA but are not allowed to sell to the UK. i dont have a gas mig so my welding looks a bit poor. but after measuring today i could make a similar frame quite easerly. the only issue ive found is making wheels. you need a lath. its nearly impossible to make a trike wheel without one. ive started the rear end today going to fit a suspension unit but one that will take a 700c rear wheel (ive got an electric 700c) so even the backs cut now.

AndyBa

Interesting, That is what I'm trying to do now!
Emma (Voyager on here) seems to be quite enterprising at doing wheels amongst other things..
I do know that KMX sell new front wheels at circa £60 each which is quite reasonable when you add up the cost of all the components. I want 20mm hubs so am going to use 2nd hand bike hubs, but there is a bit of machining to be done.

£60 is cheap for a trike wheel - depends on quality of the bits - I bought 2 pair of unused 20" wheels with tyres less axles for £100 off ebay a couple of years ago and just started to fit them , The yellow marengo has a pair on it with 12mm HT bolts as axles .

I wrote a thread on Atomic zombie using 14mm BMX axles in MTB quando hubs as a direct replacement using smaller balls .

Still ALL trike wheels are expensive unless you are as tight as me and reuse spokes and recycle rims , eventually you get good at building wheels .

We have converted wheels using 15 mm bearings and 15mm silver steel axles , machined and threaded to 14mm .

Gas mig is best , I have a mate nr York who might be able to help on the welding side of your old frame . He is also a "zombie "
We weld up all our own frames , using a gas mig .

laters for now - early night

emma

OP
OP
B

billym0404

so got some welding wire and manged to get some more done. still needs work and a lot of tidying.

Attachments

• P9150153.JPG
    P9150153.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P9150154.JPG
    P9150154.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P9150155.JPG
    P9150155.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
B

billym0404

just the opisite there to soft, when i stand on it at the minute it drops to far. there loads of adjustment to harden them up.

AndyBa

That's looking good, is there movement in the suspension when you are just sat on the frame I guess you don't need much, just enough to absorb the big ruts & bumps when speeding along.
What is the steering solution? I note you have the steering arms pointing to the front. You could possibly put them back as standard and move the handlebar bearing back in the frame to allow enough "lock". You could also mount it under the main frame so it doesn't hit the seat - I think ICE do that?

OP
OP
B

billym0404

the orginal steering should go back on with some adjustment. also theres two much movement at the moment. if i stand on the frame at the suspension point, the frame goes to far down, but it can be stiffened a lot. was gonna do some today but been up all night being sick and the other ends started now. so day of

Top Bottom