New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I have been given this Elswick Folder to play with even though i have enough bikes in my garage ! I do not know much about them other than it's quirky,folds and has Czech made wheels and tyres which floats my Skoda boat !
It needs a bit of TLC,but in general it looks complete and ridable ! Any info on the breed will be appreciated
Enjoy
Bike001_zpsb0527764.jpg

Bike003_zps957cd417.jpg

Bike014_zpsa71d4b8c.jpg

Bike006_zpsbbd7b3af.jpg

Bike008_zps9978db2c.jpg

Rafferty

I have been given this Elswick Folder to play with even though i have enough bikes in my garage ! I do not know much about them other than it's quirky,folds and has Czech made wheels and tyres which floats my Skoda boat !
It needs a bit of TLC,but in general it looks complete and ridable ! Any info on the breed will be appreciated
Enjoy
Bike001_zpsb0527764.jpg

Bike003_zps957cd417.jpg

Bike014_zpsa71d4b8c.jpg

Bike006_zpsbbd7b3af.jpg

Bike008_zps9978db2c.jpg
I've just acquired a Dawes Kingpin, so I'm in the same boat as you. I want to change the wheels for 406 size instead of the 451 size as ther is more choice with tyres and rims. The seat-post, stem, bars, chainset, saddle and mudguards will all be changed, as will the brakes. A respray is also a must, and I might change the front forks if I can get any info on what options I have. I've already made a start, so maybe we can swap ideas/info when your refurb gets underway.
Raff.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think my brother had a similair bike in a metalic brown back in the 70's , no idea what happened to it . Loving the proper dynamo and Stumey Archer 3 speed. :thumbsup:

Teuchter

Über Member
Love those old sturmey archer gears... we've got two bikes with them in our household including an old (non folding unfortunately) Raleigh Twenty of my wife's. You should be able to date the bike from a year stamped on the hub. Often all the hub needs is some oil and proper adjustment.

Check out some of the examples of work on other similar bikes for an idea of what's possible...
http://raleightwenty.webs.com/

I keep suggesting I take on my wife's bike as a modernisation project but she's dead against any changes that go beyond fitting a front wicker basket :sad:

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Love those old sturmey archer gears... we've got two bikes with them in our household including an old (non folding unfortunately) Raleigh Twenty of my wife's. You should be able to date the bike from a year stamped on the hub. Often all the hub needs is some oil and proper adjustment.

Check out some of the examples of work on other similar bikes for an idea of what's possible...
http://raleightwenty.webs.com/

I keep suggesting I take on my wife's bike as a modernisation project but she's dead against any changes that go beyond fitting a front wicker basket :sad:
I will have a look tomorrow on the rear hub for the date,cheers for the advice.........might hang fire on the wicker basket though :whistle:

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Think my mum had one of those; might want to tackle those window sills as well :whistle: .
Ha,Ha they've been like that for year and they are only my den/garage !

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a Dawes Kingpin very similar to that, which I'm doing up. It's going to be finished in the spring. It's a bit of a folly amd extravagance but I sent the frame off to Mercian to be resprayed and to have the headset and bottom bracket to be serviced. The rest of the parts I'm going to do up my self and refit, I'll post a thread when I start.

I didn't know about the date stamp on the gear hub, I'll check that out too.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I never knew about date stamps until Teuchter told me ,this forum just keeps giving :thumbsup: It's on the bench now ready for pulling apart,not sure if the old girl will get a posh respray,but i am looking forward to riding it .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I never knew about date stamps until Teuchter told me ,this forum just keeps giving :thumbsup: It's on the bench now ready for pulling apart,not sure if the old girl will get a posh respray,but i am looking forward to riding it .

Financially it does not make sense for a proper respray, I don't know why I did it really, I'll never get my money back if I decide to sell it!

Rafferty

I'll be respraying my Kingpin myself. So far I've changed the seatpost, stem, bars and crankset. Not sure about the wheels though, as going for the more common 406 size will cause braking issues. The steel rims have got to go and I'm unsure whether or not to go single speed.

Top Bottom