New purchase. 1950's Raleigh Lenton Sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I just bought this. Haven't picked it up yet though. Weather it ends up in my collection or not depends how good the condition is but I can only tell that when I get it. From the pictures it doesn't look too bad. Most of the decals look to be intact, and I'm hoping the frame cleans up well. Its missing quite a few original parts so it's probably easier to list the parts that are original. The frame, the cranks, the stem, the brake calipers and levers and the gear lever. I think the rest is not original so I'll be a busy bunny trying to get all the correct bits that it needs. The rear wheel is not original so if anyone could help determine the exact year of it that would help a lot.:smile:

_57%207_2.jpg

_57%203_3.jpg

_57%202_4.jpg

_57_4.jpg

_57%201_3.jpg

stevevw

Guru
What is the frame number? I will check it against mine of known date.
I also have every part you will need to put this back to stock, if you decide to go that route.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

What is the frame number? I will check it against mine of known date.
I also have every part you will need to put this back to stock, if you decide to go that route.

I'll let you know once I have collected the bike. And yes I would definitely be interested in parts. I want to put the whole bike back to how it was originally.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Ooops! I bought another one! This one looks a lot better though so I might keep the new one and sell the old one.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Ive finally picked up all the Lentons. Here's some better pictures.

This is the red 1950 one. The only original parts are the frame, saddle, cranks and front wheel.

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

This is the 1953 green one. This one has be varnished with a brush which had ruined it in my opinion :sad:.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

It took me a while to decide which one I wanted to keep. It was either going to be the red one because the frame and decals are in such good condition or the 1954 one because it's pretty complete. The main thing I was worried about was the paint work on the 54 as it had lots of surface rust and I didn't think it would come off too well and the red one needed a lot of replacement parts sourced. I stripped the 54 and spent about 2 hours very carefully trying to remove the rust with some wire wool being extra careful not to damage the decals. In the end I was actually pretty surprised how well it come out.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Most of the chrome parts on the 54 were pretty shot but luckily all of the chrome on the varnished one were in very good condition, so I have swapped them over.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

So now with the newly cleaned frame and better chrome parts the bike is already coming together nicely. It's going to be a very nice addition to my collection. I can't wait to get it done :smile:

Daddybus

Über Member
Look's like you're going to be busy... !!! What's the plan full 100 point restos or part outs ?
So these are all 'sport' but not 'clubman' (how did that thread end btw... was there any conclusion on what the difference was?.. Or is that a can of worms....)

Daddybus

Über Member
Ah ... cross posts...that answers that then

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Look's like you're going to be busy... !!! What's the plan full 100 point restos or part outs ?
So these are all 'sport' but not 'clubman' (how did that thread end btw... was there any conclusion on what the difference was?.. Or is that a can of worms....)

These are all Lenton Sports, they are all the model Below the Clubman. The only thing that really changed about the Clubmans over the years was the name. They went from "Lenton Cluman" to just "Clubman" (i think).

Top Bottom