New Racing/Road Bike, few little problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

First post on here, so would love some advice on the following.

I have recently bought the bike below;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIGON-Pro-Sp...ryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have cycled around 10 miles since receiving it earlier today and am so far very impressed. I am however uncertain on a few things;

- the brakes seem very weak when riding compared to my Hybrid boke. They take a while to stop the bike, esoecially the rear wheels. I have checked that the contact with the wheels is good and it seems fine.

- when pushing hard (cycling faster), i can hear a clicking sound. Im not sure where this is from. The bike arrive with the rear mech removed, so this could have not been setup 100% correctly yet. Any ideas?

Im very tempted to take it to a reputable cycle shop and get it serviced, before i start putting some more miles on it. However, as theres nothing wrong (as such) with it, they may do nothing and hand it back. Should i just look for some good guides and do this myself?

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nice bike!

Firstly, assuming that your hybrid has cantiliver brakes of some sort the caliper brakes on your road bike will definately not have the same bite. You will soon get used to this, roadbikes have skinny tyres which don't offer the same amount of grip when you are stopping and the braking force is geared to this. Just plan ahead a little more.

Clicks and creaks are buggers to pin down. If you can be a little more specific people wil be better able to advise. Does the clicking go when you are out of the saddle, or is that when it happens? Is it specific to one gear or chainring or is it constant? The more info you give the easier it will be to trace.

I have found that a noise sometimes occurs on a bike that has been laid up for a while and disappears with use, but whichever it is it should not be a serious problem.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

The clicking happens frequently, say every 5ish seconds. When you suddenly increase you rpm is become more prominant, Its not something on the wheel hitting the frame. Regarding out of seat cycling, it seems to have the same effect as when sitting.

Id imagine its from the rear mech (dura ace), but not sure

bonj2

is it once per crank revolution, or once per wheel revolution, or once per chain revolution, or neither?
if (1): number 1 suspect = loose cleat bolts
(2) - hub
(3) - tight chain link

I'm guessing unless you're REALLY slow that 5 seconds isn't once per wheel or crank revolution :biggrin: possibly even chain, but it may be only doing it some times round.
have a good, CLOSE, look at the chain from underneath (if you have a stand) or from above with the bike upside down and observe the chain carefully as it passes over and around the jockey wheels. The chain should stay snug to the jockey wheels, if you've got a stiff link it will 'rise up' and show unevenness when the stiff link passes round the S-bend. Also the chain shouldn't touch the cage of the mech, check this by observing it as described in all gears.

bonj2

oh, VERY nice bike btw. :biggrin:
chop the steerer down though unless you're planning on raising the stem. You'll get funny looks else.

(large hacksaw will do, make sure you do it very straight, and wear a mask when doing it).

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
I think ill do the lazy/best option and take it down to the bike shop (Northwood cycles, out of interest).

Just riden it again, and almost sounds like a short 'snapping' sound?!

Also will need to replace the grips and may opt for some tri bars aswell

RedBike

Dura-calipers with dura-ace levers should be absolutely top notch. A sharp pull of the lever should easily lock the rear wheel. Something is clearly wrong here.

p.s. It's probably not a good idea to start hack-sawing a carbon steerer. But if you must it's advisable to wear some form or respiratory protection

bonj2

aserota said:
I think ill do the lazy/best option and take it down to the bike shop (Northwood cycles, out of interest).

Just riden it again, and almost sounds like a short 'snapping' sound?!

Also will need to replace the grips and may opt for some tri bars aswell
do it yourself you lazy bugger :biggrin:

RedBike said:
Dura-calipers with dura-ace levers should be absolutely top notch. A sharp pull of the lever should easily lock the rear wheel. Something is clearly wrong here.

p.s. It's probably not a good idea to start hack-sawing a carbon steerer. But if you must it's advisable to wear some form or respiratory protection

should be ok with some tape round the cut to stop it splintering

llllllll

Looking at the pics on Ebay, it appears you have a carbon braking surface on the wheels. Unfortunately they don't tend to be as good for braking as alloy. Though you can minimise the difference by making sure you've got carbon specific brake pads.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Your quite right, the brakes are braking on a carbon surface (to be honest there not that bad)

I dont really feel confident playing around with the dura ace gear, would rather someone with a bit of knowledge had a look for me.

Im not hacksawing the bike in anyway. Ive only covered a few miles on it today and will want to get it set up properly first. Have now just got used to the gears/brake positioning and am really liking it.

Regarding the clicking sound. On my 5th ride of the day it seemed pretty loud/ Seems to be comming from pedals, but im not 100% sure. Bike rides very nicely, but would rather get it sorted sooner rather then later.

PS cheers for all your help, really is appreciated!

bonj2

back brake being not so powerful isn't as bad as the front brake not being as powerful. The front brake's much more important, on most rides i only ever bother using the front brake, don't use the back at all hardly.

yenrod

This has reminded myself of slight - click I get from my bike and as I've a spare BB im gonna throw that in and see if it does the same clicky noise...

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Just having a closer look at my bike atm,

the chain is rubbing slightly on the derailler (sp), so will sort that. The clicking sounds like its from the pedals still

col

Legendary Member
Sometimes taking the pedal s off and greasing the threads then replacing nicely nipped up will get rid of the click or creaking noise?

Top Bottom