New Rear Dérailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wesfoster

Über Member
On a climb yesterday my rear dérailleur snapped just as I was changing down. It's an old one, and one that I was going to replace anyway but in more of a job lot of parts though now I'll have to get that first then the rest later.

I use down tube shifters, and a six speed rear wheel (temporarily until I have a bit more money at the end of the month) along with a single 53T.
Would it be possible to run a shimano 105 5700 with the downtime shifters and six speed. I'm not after perfect, just good enough until I get the new wheels on and new cassette.

Cheers

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think so, as long as you set the limit screws carefully and your rear sprockets aren't bigger than its capacity. Someone who's done it may be along in a bit :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Derailleur pull ratios are the same, it just depends how well the wide 6sp chain will run through the narrow 10sp mech.

mjr

Good point but 10 speed chain is about 6mm width so shouldn't fall into the 3.5mm spacing of a six speed. I'm not sure about the chainrings though.

OP
OP
W

wesfoster

Über Member
Thanks for the help. Yeah thought it would be alright, but always best to check with someone who knows a bit more haha, only temporary anyway so should be alright for a month or so until a new pair of wheels/cassette is on.

mjr

I think we've said we think it will but we're not 100% sure. If I were you, I'd get the ruler out and check the widths of the gap in the rear derailleur to see if six-speed chain will fit through, or check the gap between the chainrings to see if ten-speed chain could fall into the gap. Of the two, I think six-speed chain jammed in the RD would be worse than ten-speed chain falling between the chainrings.

Top Bottom