New Rear Wheel !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wack

Hello folks,

Have recently buckled the rear wheel on my pretty ancient Raleigh Voyager (cromoly). Can you please advise the critical info required when buying a replacement. It's a Rigida 26" (AS26FL) 20x559, with a 7 cog sprocket set, is there anything else I need to be aware of. The width of the of the hub seems to be about 130mm (not sure if this is standard ??).

Recommendations on best place to buy from would be very useful too please

Many thanks in advance.

Wack 👍😁

Ajax Bay

Guru
You need a 'normal' 26" (assume rim-braked) rear wheel - the 130mm is called the OLD (over-locknut distance, also the distance between the rear dropouts). The '559' is the ETRTO diameter (in mm). The '20' is the internal rim width (allows you to run tyres roughly from 28mm to 40mm wide). You can either get a freewheel and a 7sp block eg (which your buckled one probably is) or one with a freehub for a 7sp cassette. If you have a freewheel now then the block can be removed ;) and transferred to the new wheel. Similarly if you have a cassette then that can be transferred to a new freehubbed wheel.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

OP
OP
Wack

Wack

Hello folks,

Thanks for your help so far !

Looks like I have a freehub and cassette arrangement (Falcon IGS, I'd attach a pic., but I'm not allowed as yet), and I have the old school centre pull rim brakes and a nutted axle, so it looks like Decathlon don't have anything suitable :rolleyes::cry:

Any other suggestions great appreciated, or I'll perhaps have to pay Halfords a visit ! :wacko:

BFN

Wack

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just because you have a nutted axle now doesn't mean you can't buy/fit a wheel with a QR. In fact they're generally much easier, and you don't have to carry a bloody great spanner in case the wheel needs to come off to mend a puncture. Only upside of nutted axles is that they're more difficult (and less attractive/likely) to be individually pinched (not normally an issue for the rear wheel).
I'd double check that the Falcon IGS has a freehub and cassette. Look at the first set of images in the Sheldon Brown site (I linked).
ETA: If you have got a freehub: happy days - rear wheels with freehubs are readily available - but it needs to be a 7sp freehub - beware: there'll be a number which have one that fits 8, 9 and10sp cassettes.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom