New Recumbent Today - Optima Lynx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I'm avoiding trying to ride this thing. I was looking at the power idler pulley and it's worn smooth, all the teeth are gone:sad: Which prompted me to look at the one on the trike, which isn't a great deal better. Replacement Optima and ICE idlers are £20 & £30 respectively, but I found TerraCycle idlers which are much nicer, but at £70 posted each are a bit steep. So I got fiddling with the worn Optima idler and an old cassette...

Before
View attachment 432120

During the fiddling
View attachment 432121
Finished
View attachment 432122
Fitted
View attachment 432123
Works very well:smile::smile:

A note for forum members about to consider replacing the chain pulley wheels ??
In the case of Optima + ICE + Kingcycle and many others …..
None have "Toothed" pulley wheels :crazy:
However many high mileage machines can appear to have "Phantom" teeth chewed into the nylon pulley
All very confusing for the novice owners .:banghead:
This info could save you a bob or two before you modify or invest in tooth designs by Terracycle and others .
Hope you find the above info usefull :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
A note for forum members about to consider replacing the chain pulley wheels ??
In the case of Optima + ICE + Kingcycle and many others …..
None have "Toothed" pulley wheels :crazy:
However many high mileage machines can appear to have "Phantom" teeth chewed into the nylon pulley
All very confusing for the novice owners .:banghead:
This info could save you a bob or two before you modify or invest in tooth designs by Terracycle and others .
Hope you find the above info usefull :okay:
Still a good bit of cobbling though.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I forgot to put it here, but I’ve now ridden the machine:smile: A couple of test starts across the garden on Sunday last week, then off the dog walking field on Monday, all grass just in case. Managed 1.5 miles with no offs including a little bit on tarmac back home. Low speed stuff, I averaged 5mph. Next stop Windsor Great Park by van for tarmac and hills

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It's been a while, but managed to get out for a bit more of a ride today. Aside from the rear chain tube coming adrift and wedging in the idler (cue roadside bodge with gaffer tape and cable ties) it went well. Bit wobbly, but 5.5 miles done. I think the rear tube can go as it serves no purpose, and I need to adjust to the hub gears, not used to them so will see how we get along after a few more miles..

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's been a while, but managed to get out for a bit more of a ride today. Aside from the rear chain tube coming adrift and wedging in the idler (cue roadside bodge with gaffer tape and cable ties) it went well. Bit wobbly, but 5.5 miles done. I think the rear tube can go as it serves no purpose, and I need to adjust to the hub gears, not used to them so will see how we get along after a few more miles..
I had the same thing when I had my performer, as with you tape and cable ties solved the problem.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Much better ride today. The chain tube which entangled with the idler has been removed, it's now quieter. Much less wobbly and managed to get onto the big ring, reaching 18 mph max. It's as tough uphill as the trike, and probably going to be nearly as fast downhill.
Getting off the big ring needed a heel nudge, the front mech is on it's adjustment limit and still won't drop onto the small ring. I think a slightly longer bottom bracket by maybe 5-10mm will solve that and chain line isn't really an issue. Loving it so far:smile:

simongt

Guru
I had an S8 on my tourer 'til the bike was trashed in an accident in April. The only issue I had was getting the rear wheel off / on again in the event of a puncture. It's a bit of a faff :angry: and you will almost certainly need a pair of snipe nose pliers and a screwdriver to disconnect / reconnect the gear cable.
I strongly recommend you check out YouTube for a tutorial and have some practice sessions at home before you are faced with doing it on the open road in the dark - ! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom