New recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcd

It's taken a while, but my new recumbent has finally arrived:

photo_zoom.gne

:biggrin:

It's not super light - but at 7Kg lighter than 'the horse'* and with a stiff frame it's a very different ride. Not as harsh as I was expecting - even on 120 psi tubs! What you see is how it came out of the box - I've still to play around with the seat and stem angles, and the chain routing. The big question: is it any faster?

(*my other recumbent - an HPV StreetMachine)

andharwheel

Nice bike. A M5? It just looks fast!

I'm certainly no expert on recumbents, but that's a very sleek looking bike!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wow, that is a gorgeous bike, and it looks the dogs particulars! What made you choose a mid/high racer over a low racer?

betty swollocks said:
Very nice: but what's the gearing? For a fast-looking low-racer, the chainrings don't look very big.

Big rear wheel means you don't need big chainrings. We have big chainrings on our Hurricanes because of the tiny 406 wheel, each turn of the 406 doesn't go as far as a rotation on a bigger wheel.

OP
OP
mcd

mcd

Its good to know that a bike can go down well here even if it is a bit different (and in a photo with dodgy skirting board :biggrin:)

Col - Cost? It's not for sale!:biggrin: With all the extras, about the same as a near top of the range Italian road bike - about what I got paid last year for working overtime & being on-call. Not the cheapest bike around, but it is very nice.

BentMikey is correct about the chainrings - the wheels are 700c, so standard ratios can be used. A slightly larger chainring might be a good idea - but I'll wait until I've earned it by running out of gears with the current one!

Low racers v's high racers: it is said that low racers have better aerodynamics but aren't as good on hills. Most of my riding is on hilly roads with traffic and with riders on normal bikes - being higher makes it easier to see / be seen, and is more sociable. The larger wheels on a high racer roll better over rougher road surfaces and there is a bigger choice in wheels & tyres/tubs ( including the disk my wife uses for time trialling - I might need to do a bit of her ironing through :biggrin: ).

NickM

Veteran
Found this thread at last... Gordon Bennett! Not to mention Phwoarrrr!!

So... where will the camping gear go??

And... tubs? You nutter! That's me pushed one place further down, then...

PS don't forget you'll need a chainguard for Hillingdon 2...

OP
OP
mcd

mcd

NickM - Chainguard? Yes I remembered that - I was attacking a not-so-high-tech bit of ply with router at the weekend.

bentmikey - ohhh, but just imagine the satisfaction when you overtake me! Gone are the days when I could say "ah, but they were on a faster bike"

Top Bottom