New regime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Potential death does appear to have raised the motivation of a lot of people recently. Lots of extra runners, walkers and cyclist out and about. ^_^

sleuthey

Legendary Member
A news report on the BBC yesterday saying fitter people cope better than unfit ones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076...ews/health&link_location=live-reporting-story
Yep good advice there it’s exactly what I’m doing. I think what they are saying is try and maintain a level of fitness and fresh air throughout the epidemic rather than easing off. If I wasn’t already fit I don’t think I’d want to be suddenly allocating energy and nutrients on trying to suddenly get fit right now. The way I read the article is that the fit people who have had the mild simptoms are those who are fit in the first place.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would agree with that. But what a time to realise it if you didnt before. Its like trying to play catch up.

Sadly it will take a while to have an affect.

There is a study out of Kings College, London from 2-3 years back that looked at immune function of aging athletes (cyclists) vs. Sedentary vs. Healthy young adults.

The basic summary was that the older cyclists who had remained active throughout their lives still had the immune function of the young adults. Where as in the sedentary older adults their immune function had significantly declined. The sedentary folk had a much shrunken Thamus, and their T cells weren’t as numerous or effective as in the other groups.

Thus the decline in immune function isn’t just due to aging, it is due to a sedentary life style and time.

Keep active throughout life, retain the immune system of your youth.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
I quit smoking on my 38th birthday, having three daughters nagging was a great incentive, six months later I joined the LDWA and was walking 20-30 miles each weekend, building up to my one and only 100 mile walk (36 hours 35 minutes). I was never quick on the hills so I started training with BMF in the local park. My fitness levels soared and took the hills in my stride on my subsequent long walks. At the age of 61 (four years ago) I started cycling. I'm hoping my nearly 30 years of activity and non smoking puts me in a lower risk category.

gbb

Legendary Member
Potential death does appear to have raised the motivation of a lot of people recently. Lots of extra runners, walkers and cyclist out and about. ^_^
It'll be interesting when I get back to work later this week , grape and citrus packing, apparently orders are at Christmas levels, the very peak of annual demand. Given even those peaks have dipped in the last maybe 10 years as we assume people dont feel the need to buy fruit as they used to, you might equally assume people are now buying to eat healthily.

Top Bottom