New road bike for £500? (Piccies added - Page 6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
What size are you? That ridley r6 El from merlin looks like a bargain at 499 for the 56 size...
I'm 5'10", but have a 32" inside leg - Sort of a 6' leg on a 5'8" body, and long arms too, if you follow.

I was assuming a 55-56cm frame would be ideal, but again, would welcome any input.

Russell

Interesting. I presume the carbon fork is a bit more compliant? I had wondered about that, but most of my riding is done on the relative billiard table of the misguided bus tow path.l

Allegedly. However, I don't see how a stiffer material is more compliant for the same design.

The design and build has a far greater effect over compliance than the material itself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ridley bikes come up big, check the geometry. I'd think a 56 might be too big. I looked at them years ago, same height, slightly longer leg, would have needed a 54. You need to sit on and preferably ride bikes. Failing that check the numbers carefully against the geometry of something you can sit on

Carbon fork - for me, adds comfort, soaks up road buzz and softens rough stuff

No £500 bike will have especially good wheels ultimately

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Okay, that makes perfect sense. You do tend to see it stated quite often that 'it's got an ali fork and transmits more road buzz (etc) than carbon would'. One would assume that the main advantage of CF is simply to engineer whatever qualities you want more easily than forming aluminium and of course, it's slightly lighter for all the difference that makes in just the forks.

Russell.

PS. Posts crossed, so that's also interesting additional info.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Okay, that makes perfect sense. You do tend to see it stated quite often that 'it's got an ali fork and transmits more road buzz (etc) than carbon would'. One would assume that the main advantage of CF is simply to engineer whatever qualities you want more easily than forming aluminium and of course, it's slightly lighter for all the difference that makes in just the forks.

Russell.

PS. Posts crossed, so that's also interesting additional info.
Correct , the lay up of the carbon can be used to make it stiff or compliant is the simple non scientific answer.

Correct , the lay up of the carbon can be used to make it stiff or compliant is the simple non scientific answer.

Unfortunately not likely to be a thought on most entry level carbon forks. I don't think there's a massive difference between entry level carbon and aluminium. I certainly wouldn't knock a bike off my shortlist at £500 for not having a carbon fork.

Have you tested them ?

Every single entry level carbon fork?

I did say likely to be. There is probably exceptions. But you will never know.

You will never find out how your carbon fork was laid up, and you very rarely have the opportunity to compare it to an aluminium fork of identical geometrical design. Thus saying all carbon forks are better and smoother than all aluminium forks is inaccurate.

At the higher end market, I'd have more trust in a manufacturers claims, but at the entry level prices? I believe it is mainly just marketing hype, and at a price where there are compromises, I'd look further than the forks, and not discount something just because it didn't have them.

Without side by side comparisons of identical forks, with just the material difference, it is impossible to say that the carbon will always be a smoother ride.

My comment was that, although carbon forks CAN be smoother, it may not necessarily be true, especially at that price, so don't discount something because of it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would always want a carbon fork, but that's my personal experience and preference :smile: if it meant spending more to get one, then I would do so

I have a steel bike, two alu bikes and a carbon bike. They all have a carbon fork (albeit with an alu steerer). The three geared bikes have the same cranks and cassette too

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I'm 5'10" with 32" inside leg also. All my bikes are a 54 cm or Medium.
Okay, that's two votes out of two that said that, so I'll run with it, pending my sitting on a bike or two. To be honest, it's that long since I sat on, never mind rode a road bike (Bob Jackson 753/Campag Comp C [IIRC] that I had until the late '90s!), I suspect I'd probably lack the experience to know what the dickens is going on these days. The steering on my Plug felt so fast in comparison to that, or my Kona, I barely took either hand off the handle bars for the first week.

On the subject of carbon forks; we seem to have a split opinion, although that seems to relate to the relative merits of budget fayre, rather than the more stringently engineered mid/high end kit. At this stage, I'm not sure I'll let it bother me.

Russell

vickster

Legendary Member
Test ride a bike on the roads with a carbon fork, one without and see what you think...and pick the bike up and test the weight :smile:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
There's a £500 bike group test in the June issue of Bikes etc.

You could probably view it online for free as the July issue is out now.

I reckon a 2014 Cube Peloton, Giant Defy or Cannondale summatoruva from Pauls Cycles is best bet for your $$$ or £££.

Top Bottom