New road bike help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm liking the idea @Soltydog suggested in grabbing the TCR 2 and upgrading the wheels, question would be what is the difference in the original wheels and new wheels? like is the difference that great?
I think even with the stock wheels you would find the bike much better for longer rides than your current MTB. I was fortunate to have another road bike with a decent wheelset that I could swap over & try out on the TCR & the difference was really noticeable so convinced me the upgrade was worthwhile. The bike is lighter & more responsive, but it's not an essential upgrade, you can always see how you get on & upgrade if & when you want to :okay:

OP
OP
A

Aines25

Regular
I think even with the stock wheels you would find the bike much better for longer rides than your current MTB. I was fortunate to have another road bike with a decent wheelset that I could swap over & try out on the TCR & the difference was really noticeable so convinced me the upgrade was worthwhile. The bike is lighter & more responsive, but it's not an essential upgrade, you can always see how you get on & upgrade if & when you want to :okay:

Yeah I think I will do with stock wheels initially, luckily ash cycles is actually located right next to my house, I'm going to take a trip down there today and see how the TCR 2 is

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I think I will do with stock wheels initially, luckily ash cycles is actually located right next to my house, I'm going to take a trip down there today and see how the TCR 2 is
They have the 2019 on their website, but don't appear to have stock

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking at there website they have some older models available at sub £500 prices ok less spec but less money ^_^
I guess he's looking for something higher up the ladder if looking at the TCR :okay:
Maybe wanting to 'compete' with his mate :smile:

OP
OP
A

Aines25

Regular
I guess he's looking for something higher up the ladder if looking at the TCR :okay:
Maybe wanting to 'compete' with his mate :smile:

Tbh If a £500 bike was more than capable of doing the job I'd be sure to purchase that, main thing is I don't wish to buy a bike to then need to purchase another in a year or twos time, I'd rather purchase said bike from the off.

Doesn't need to be a giant or TCR, however all info posted and then reviews have seemed well enough.

Going back to an older question with regards to the Carrera virago, what pro's / cons would I have from getting that over a TCR 2?

reviews of Carrera have been good, however I'm still a bit confused as to what the differences in the 2 are other than the price....couple of kg's in weight (as long as its not a big difference) I can deal with along with not the greatest wheel set as I plan to use the wheels that come with whatever bike I get for a while from when I get a bike.

is there anything else I may be missing? these answers will ultimately probably decide which of the two I go for.

thank you again to all

vickster

Legendary Member
You could look at the Alu Contend/Defy models, a bit more relaxed than the TCR (and cheaper)
This will save £800 vs TCR
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/-c-971/giant-contend-sl-1-2018?zenid=et810or2aiaggi3ndokeggs5d5
or can add discs (with a weight penalty however) https://www.ashcycles.com/site/-c-971/giant-contend-sl-1-disc-2018?zenid=et810or2aiaggi3ndokeggs5d5

The Carrera will be an older mass produced frame. The Giant will have had more R&D chucked at it (as well as branding and marketing of course ;) )

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The older Giant models will do the job in my mind and save you money .
Nothing wrong with the Carrera as pointed out earlier they look like older Boardmans so also be good .
Pop next door and see what you think

OP
OP
A

Aines25

Regular
Hi all,

due to current pandemic, ash cycles was closed and other attempts to go visit, bikes have proved difficult.

I have however just been offered by a friend's friends bike, Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra for £450.

Can anybody advise on this? I'm told it is a good deal on a great bike even if it is a few years old and has 'Rs wheels and a Tiagra groupset'

Thanks

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
But don't write off "only" Tiagra, it's a perfectly lovely group set.
I agree that is too expensive, I'd feel bad offering anything at that price with such a tatty saddle... it's well used let's face it. 😄

Top Bottom