New Road Helmet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I don't think I've seen one of the new model out in the wild. Loads of the old version though.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Sometimes I think that the denizens of cycling forums are a tiny bit precious about their gear. We get so used to thinking everyone on the forum has experience of better than average equipment and esoteric knowledge that we start to believe it's what everyone has.

Yesterday I stood behind a bloke in my local Asda who had a shiny blue cycle helmet in his basket which had cracks all over it where you could see the polystyrene lining. Out in the wild probably many utility cyclists just use their gear to death. He put me to shame actually as he was using his bike for shopping while I was on my motorbike instead of doing my bit for the planet. I wonder what state his tyres, brakes etc are in. Probably his helmet had moulded itself to his head over the years and as long as it was comfortable and he believed it worked he wasn't going to change it. There are often youths on mountain bikes with nice paint jobs hanging about outside but what their spec really is I wouldn't know. There are usually one or two BSOs chained to the railings, old catalogue bikes, Townsends or similar, obviously getting used despite being past their prime.

I do have a helmet but once wore it more for the ability to put a helmet mirror on it, and don't use it much these days. It was an inexpensive Aldi helmet, but despite being a bargain helmet it had one or two nice features. One was the easily adjustable fit, the other was that it had a mesh in the forward facing ventilation slots, to keep insects out. Unfortunately it made me feel like a mushroom as it was quite wide and I did wonder whether the risk of it gripping the tarmac and twisting my neck outweighed any possible benefits that its alleged impact resistance might give.

Nevertheless, from time to time I look at helmets if I see something compact or nice looking but I'm often surprised to see that even quite expensive helmets don't have any mesh in the vents, or no provision for extras such as a peak, or seem quite basic. I suppose what it boils down to is the fit, whatever the price range might be.

I had the original Mojito and while I like it, it did have a tendency to drift up my forehead. I recently got a Mojito 3 and I’ve found it fits me better and stays put. Either an improved retention system or it suits the shape of my head. I’ve kept the original for commutes.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Decathlon closeby? Travel further to some more LBS?
You really need to try some on or buy from retailers with free delivery/returns (unlike PX). No one can really say what will fit you/suit you (but yes Specialized helmets are often described as mushroomy). My best fitting helmet fwiw is a Kask Mojito

Another happy Kask Mojito user here. :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
A few years ago I purchased an Abus helmet from Decathlon. I find it very comfortable and unobtrusive. Just had a look on the Decathlon website and noticed a newer similar model is now about £50. What stood out though was that there’s another very similar looking Abus helmet which is “ designed for Pedelecs “ ( it has a “ Pedelec “ logo ) that costs £130 🤔

Top Bottom