New Roadie: Normal or Adverse Symptoms?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I used to get neck and shoulder pain on the road bike. I realised (after making several fruitless adjustments) that it was because I was too tense and gripping the bars too tight. Someone on here advised me to 'hold on, not hang on' and that sorted it.

OP
OP
Kelvin_C-J

Kelvin_C-J

Thank you all for the helpful information, advice and guidance.

I must say - getting a road bike has certainly renewed my interest in cycling. Regarding being tense - that could be a factor as well, I suppose the best thing for me to do at this time is just to cycle and enjoy the experience and see if the inconveniences of late disappear as I hope with time.

speedygoo - thank you - I realised that as soon as I noticed the difference with my road bike performance. Unfortunately, while I have cycled at the weekends for many years - I have never really ventured past 10 miles in a day, and so have not really thought about most things bike except for maintenance. Also, my family have never suggested to me otherwise and all ride their bikes in the same manner - with feet being able to securely reach the ground. So, that is where one of my problems arised from.

However, having noted the difference - I am certainly advising my family to make that switch - and indeed ventured out on my MTB today to test the change of seat height and was not disappointed with the results.

HLaB - thanks for the tip regarding the peak. I may have to remove mine as well!

Hip Priest - Hopefully you saw that I referenced your information in the main text - but just wanted to add your name here to show I did not forget your contribution!

Thanks,

Top Bottom