new saddle ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

some of those bike companies know their stuff and fit good sensible but economic stuff as standard. Two of my best saddles came with bikes

Ditto that. My 2nd fave saddle is the one that came fitted to my On-One Pompino. I've no idea what make it is.

So by complete chance and good fortune, that gave me a pointer to what shape/type saddle suited me.

OP
OP
C

cat hunter

Regular
Wow thanks for all the input and reply's. I better get researching some of these saddles . I keep thinking about the brooks b17 . A lot of people dig them.but not sure .thanks for all the help

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The problem with the B-17, and other Brooks saddles, is that some people are made for them, others can't get on with them. There is a break-in period, but they are the best saddle out there, if you happen to have a Brooksian Arse. I have no problems with them, but I also ride my work tricycle on just the plastic base, because all the padding and cover were no good anymore. Proper measurement of the sit-bones (ischial tuberosities) will help yield better results in your search.

Wow thanks for all the input and reply's. I better get researching some of these saddles . I keep thinking about the brooks b17 . A lot of people dig them.but not sure .thanks for all the help
I wouldn't start exploring brookes just yet to be honest. Find something comfortable first so that you have something to compare it to. Bear in mind also that if you leave your bike in urban areas they can be thief magnets.

Sharky

Guru
I am a bit sceptical of bike fits etc and measuring sit bones. Saddles seem to range from about 130mm to 150mm for mens saddles. So starting with your current saddle, where in the range is it. Then for your next saddle go for one which is about 10mm different up or down and see if it makes a difference.

I think the guidelines if you have been measured is sit bone width plus 20mm. So you should be looking for a 150+ saddle.

OP
OP
C

cat hunter

Regular
Thanks . That why I thought the brooks cambium c17 that I brought would be perfect because it is 15/20mm wider than the spoon and flite max .but it was more like a medieval torture device .hehe

Sharky

Guru
Have a look at the san marco regal. Looks retro, but has a thin padding layer. For me it works, but everyone is different. Still used by some of the pros.

Milzy

Guru
If your position on the bike is poor only a good sofa will feel comfortable.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My most comfortable saddle is a Selle Royal one that came fitted to my Pioneer hybrid. Gel plus coil springs! Second most comfortable is a beaten up old Apollo MTB saddle all bound up with duct tape to keep the foam padding in.
Having looked at the ones @meta lon posted the link to, I can see the need for padded shorts!.
Any saddle that I can't ride for several hours whilst wearing jeans, I would not consider to be a saddle worth buying.

Top Bottom