New saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have seen a few posts about saddles, but i need some advice and saddle help.
The saddle i have now is the one that came with my racer(Giant SCR4) and on the club ride on sunday i found it very uncomfy. It was 68miles and by the time i got to the cafe at about 30ish miles my sit bones and my skin between my legs was hurting, and feeling sore. I hadnt changed anything since i had last been on it. My left muscel at the backof my leg(sorry dont know the name) seems to be hurting and aching abit. Again i havent changed the saddle height its just come along. I have lost weight and some of the natural padding(:smile:) from my arse has been lost. I also tend to end up with a sweaty arse at the end of a ride over about 5 miles.
I thought about getting a Brooks B17N, i havent got too much to spend on one, only about £40 or abit more. Any other reccomendations? I like the Specialized Toupe, but that is way too much money.
So should get a new saddle, or just carry on, or alter the seat around? I dropped the saddle height down today on the ride, but that didnt help.
So what should i do?

domtyler

Über Member
I just got a Toupe and was quite literally amazed at how comfy it is. I got mine second hand for thirty five quid, so it is possible to get one on the cheap.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

domtyler said:
I just got a Toupe and was quite literally amazed at how comfy it is. I got mine second hand for thirty five quid, so it is possible to get one on the cheap.

Doyou think it would be cheeky to go and get sizedup for one, then look for one second hand?
I dont know what shops will have the saddle and the sizing thing in though. Unless Evans has one in, i dont think the LBS will have one in. I will go see though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Joe, my lbs said that 90 percent of the blokes that he has measured have been the wider variety ie 143

jashburnham

Just bite the bullet and get a Toupe, they are excellent. You could spend £40 on another saddle and end up hating it and trying a toupe anyway! What shorts are you using, are they a decent padded pair? Also try putting some chamois cream on the padding before the ride, I find it helps no end and prevents chafing etc.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I have some Endura trousers. The padding is thin. I have some shorts with thicker padding and my arse sweats alot then.
I would love to get a Toupe, but i dont know if my mum would be too happy with me spending that much on a saddle. Not got that much yet anyway.
Got any tips in trying to pursuade her?
Good gosh, i might hhave just seen a bargin. Just seen a new one on the internet for £35. Hopefully its the same price in the shop aswell as online.
oooo the temptation.:wacko:

jashburnham

Joe24 said:
I have some Endura trousers. The padding is thin. I have some shorts with thicker padding and my arse sweats alot then.
I would love to get a Toupe, but i dont know if my mum would be too happy with me spending that much on a saddle. Not got that much yet anyway.
Got any tips in trying to pursuade her?
Good gosh, i might hhave just seen a bargin. Just seen a new one on the internet for £35. Hopefully its the same price in the shop aswell as online.
oooo the temptation.:wacko:

How about: "Mum if you want Grandkids, I'm gonna need a new saddle." :ohmy:

U

User482

Joe24, I've sent you a PM as I have a specialized Avatar saddle that you may be interested in.

jashburnham

Seriously though, I'd invest in some decent lycra shorts. DHB's on wiggle are excellent and cheap.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

jashburnham said:
Seriously though, I'd invest in some decent lycra shorts. DHB's on wiggle are excellent and cheap.

Its not chaffing, its the soft bit between your arse and your gonads. My trousers sort of rub, and the back bit of the seat makes my sit bones ache.

stevenb

Would be interested at £35....failing that £55 sounds jolly good to me:smile:
Although I need to go to my LBS for the sitbones test.....then I'd have to walk out.....they might think I'm a right git for that! :tongue:

Top Bottom