1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Saddle

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Gerry Attrick, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

At the risk of repeating a thousand earlier threads, I am looking to buy a new high end saddle. I know these things are personal, but can someone point me in the direction of a day-long comfortable article with low weight?

2. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Brooks with Titanium Rails. In fact, sod the weight, just get a B17 Normal and enjoy.

3. dmoan

dmoan Über Member

Specialized Alias - just pop down to your local dealer, get your sit bones measured, buy the right size (choice of 3) and enjoy.

4. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Spec Toupe.

The problem with the Brooks is you will have to forego shaving. I had the Alias, I found that after about 6-9 months, the stitching on the top started to fray. It looked shabby and roughed up the surface of my bibs. The Toupe is simply the best saddle I have used.

5. dmoan

dmoan Über Member

My bottom is too big for a Toupe :biggrin: - I need a 155mm saddle!

6. simonali

simonali Über Member

Toupe. :thumbsup:

7. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Brooks, Swift or Swallow. You'll only gain maybe 100g-150g over a high-end race saddle but the comfort will be worth it. Oh and they look damn good too. :smile:

8. rickangus

rickangus Über Member

IMO comfort is more important than weight on longer rides.

9. doyler78

doyler78 Well-Known Member

Thinking about this one myself. Spesh toupe - would that be the gel one or the non gel one?

10. simonali

simonali Über Member

No gel for me. If you have shorts you won't need it, but I ride my bike to work in jeans and it's OK even then.

11. doyler78

doyler78 Well-Known Member

Yeah - lycra clad and padded so no worries there and £10 cheaper too so even better. Thanks

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Toupe. Most comfortable saddle I have ever had.

Believe thay have a 155mm model for the broad of beam.

13. dmoan

dmoan Über Member

Not anywere I've ever looked. Even the Specialized site only show 130mm and 143mm versions.

Unless they previously did larger ones - I'll keep an eye on ebay for second hand models.

14. Gary D

Gary D Well-Known Member

I think it's only the Avatar and Alias that are available in the 155mm.

Gary.

15. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

for me it is the spec toupe gel, far more comfy than my brooks b17n