New Shoes - Heel Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The doomed

Über Member
Have just bought new shoes (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fizik-m3b-mtb-spd-shoes-2016/rp-prod132501) and not quite sure if I should keep them.

They are my first pair of decent shoes. When I walk in them at home, my heels slip. I'm pretty sure the size down will be too small and dont want to try these out on the bike with cleats etc in case i cant return them.

Obviously with a firm sole the heels are likely to be under pressure to move and they are for cycling, not for walking.

Keep them? Try them on bike? Thoughts?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Return them and go to a shop to try some on then buy a pair from there , you can always buy a spare pair online knowing that will fit . In my experience ill fitting shoes remain ill fitting whatever hacks and bodges you try.
I buy a lot of stuff online but buy shoes, gloves and helmets I always buy from yer actual shops so I'm confident they will fit.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Your heels slip inside the shoe - implying they are too big? Return them.

Your heels slip on the floor, but the shoes fit - implying they are difficult to walk in? It's part of the design of non-recessed cleat cycling shoes. It's the stylish "I've just soiled myself" walk that makes cyclists look so cool in cafes.

vickster

Legendary Member
£120 shoes that don't fit, send them back

(looks like there is some recession of the cleat as they are more MTB style)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The stiff soles do make cycling shoes prone to heel slip, so the upper needs to be a better fit, especially around the ankle, than might be the case with regular shoes.
If you go for tight as a proxy for good fit, not that tight shoes will give colder feet in winter, and could leave you more prone to hot foot.
Some shoes have a curved sole (a rocker) that allows the shoe heel to rise up naturally as you roll forwards onto your toes.
A more flexible sole will reduce the tendency to heel lift, but gives less support to the ball of the foot so you may feel the cleat more.

The options are...
a) try different shoes - return postage could add up if you try too many pairs via internet orders.
b) put up with it - it doesn't matter terribly much on the bike, and you won't do your foot or socks much damage with the occasional short walk from the bike to the café.
c) try adjustments, such as insoles with a slightly raised heel to hold the foot against the upper.

OP
OP
T

The doomed

Über Member
Little update on this, went down a half size and the fit is magic. A little more snug around the toe area that i'd wear in other footwear but haven't noticed any problems on a couple of short rides.

Thanks for the advice

Top Bottom