New Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi,

I'm in training for a JOGLE attempt early Sept and I've done 1300 miles wearing Altura Pro Gel shorts which I find are pretty good but I need MORE padding, my 'bum bones' :0 are feeling the strain and making the long rides pretty uncomfortable.

Can anyone please recommend a pair that are well padded, max budget £50.00, I'd be forever grateful to sort this issue!

Many thanks

You might find that changing your saddle might help. Or it might not.
What's your current saddle, or if it came with the bike , what bike.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
You might find that changing your saddle might help. Or it might not.
What's your current saddle, or if it came with the bike , what bike.

I'd agree with that. 1300 miles with light padding and it's still uncomfortable does suggest that it's more the seat than padding.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Hi guys, the saddle came with a specialized sirrus pro, about 6 year's ago, can you recommend a saddle that will not blow the budget?

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks Vorsprung, My problems have come since I've been going 80 - 1oo miles, I'm also gonna try the sudocream as I'm a little sore aswell! Thanks for the link

Randochap

Senior hunter
It's not really possible to recommend a "good saddle" to anyone else. All recommendations are generalizations. You should really find an accommodating LBS who'll let you try a few out. For long-distance you should steer away from overly soft saddles though. More padding doesn't always work, whether on the saddle or in shorts.

Also make sure your bike fit is spot on. I've seen more people with "saddle problems" who could be helped more by bike fit adjustments than a new saddle. VeloWeb has tips for bike fit and long-distance riding.

Tailwinds.

Manonabike

Über Member
Well that's mad, i've been looking through 6 pages on Evans website and this was the one I had identified!

Have you used it yourself?

Yes, I have one and I'm happy with it.

What is comfortable for me might not be so comfortable for you, however, there were quite a few recommendations here so I bought one :biggrin: - basically, it meets the requirements of a saddle for long rides, not too much padding.

The funny thing is I saw one going on ebay for £36 when they are about £20..... so if you don't get on with it you might make a profit on it :biggrin:

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Last night I fitted a £24.99 charge spoon and today went our for a 90 miler. The first 5 miles i thought the seat was a little hard but just seemed to get better and better. Just the right amount of 'surface area' to support and not too much padding so you really feel 'connected' to the bike. I'm talking bo***cks but really impressed with it, it has solved an ongoing issue that has bothered me for a number of weeks now.

The very best £24.99 I've spent on all my kit! Thanks manonabike for the recommendation.

Manonabike

Über Member
Last night I fitted a £24.99 charge spoon and today went our for a 90 miler. The first 5 miles i thought the seat was a little hard but just seemed to get better and better. Just the right amount of 'surface area' to support and not too much padding so you really feel 'connected' to the bike. I'm talking bo***cks but really impressed with it, it has solved an ongoing issue that has bothered me for a number of weeks now.

The very best £24.99 I've spent on all my kit! Thanks manonabike for the recommendation.

I'm glad you solved your problem :smile:

Top Bottom