New Shower, unfortunately not one we wanted

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
Location
Oop North (ish)
Watching TV last night my wife asked if was it raining, I looked out of the window & said "No". She then said she could hear dripping water, so she turned the TV off & she listened, not worth me listening. She the said it's coming from upstairs, so I went upstairs to find hot water dripping from the landing ceiling, which confused me as for a moment I couldn't think why hot water would be up there, then it struck me, it had to be the pipes going to the shower. Ran back down to the kitchen to get a knife, luckily when I put the shower in 5-6 years ago I put isolator valves in the upstairs cupboard, so came back & turned them off before going into the loft. That stopped fresh water but there was a lot of water still up there, had to remove all the underlay & get towels in to mop everything up, some of it has even managed to find it's way down to the lounge, there was a dark stain last night which appears to have dried out this morning. Just about to go for a new joint, but why it has suddenly let go after 5-6 years is a mystery.

559263


559264
 

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
Thats a nasty shock! I hope it turns out to be an easy fix. The one we had a few years ago turned out to be the toilet waste, I was sat at the computer late one night when I became aware of dripping water, I looked round and it was dripping in the corner of our dining area, I called the home insurance home emergency number, they sent out a plumber who stopped it leaking then came back the following day and fitted a new waste pipe.
 

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a wet vac that is used in the garage mainly, great for cleaning up liquids, as for why those joints go after 5 years I have not got a clue, what I would say it is worth buying quality one's though.
 
OP
Phaeton

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
Location
Oop North (ish)
I have a wet vac that is used in the garage mainly, great for cleaning up liquids, as for why those joints go after 5 years I have not got a clue, what I would say it is worth buying quality one's though.
Yeah I have one, bought at Screwfix works a treat, it was up there last night.
 

postman

Legendary Member
Location
,Leeds
Many moons ago my daughter came to us and asked.Should water be coming through the kitchen light fittings.Wtf I knew exactly where to look.Off came the bath panel,and the pipe from the plug has come undone.Why had the guys not applied glue,20p worth would have saved all the trouble.Same people shower room did not glue shower tray hole,so had the floor was rotten in years.That was a big insurance job.Got a real good bloke in and he did a great job.New tray,shower and bottom three rows of tiles.We paid enough,one tin of glue about a fiver,could have saved us a lot of trouble.
 

OldShep

Senior Member
Crap plastic pipe and crap plastic fittings I’m afraid. Stick to copper and Yorkshire / solder ring fittings
When I built my house 22 years ago a couple of plumbers told me the exact same words.
Of course I ignored them and plumbed two bathrooms, one kitchen, and a hot water system in less than two days using plastic pipe. I’m still waiting for a leak and as one of the plumbers said, for the hot water pipes to melt. :laugh:
 

Randomnerd

Formerly known as Woodenspoons
Location
North Yorkshire
I wouldn’t trust plastic fittings. My dad was a plumber from the old school, and I was brought up with copper and brass. No need to conflate soldered fitting recommendations with idiots who say pipes will melt. Youre obviously a very good hand.
 
OP
Phaeton

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
Location
Oop North (ish)
Make an insurance claim. It’s what it’s there for.
Not worth the hassle new connector fitted, just needs to dry out now, some PVA glue on the ceiling around the rose & a splash of paint. Only insure the house in case of the big one, fire, rest I'll sort myself
 
Thats a nasty shock! I hope it turns out to be an easy fix. The one we had a few years ago turned out to be the toilet waste, I was sat at the computer late one night when I became aware of dripping water, I looked round and it was dripping in the corner of our dining area, I called the home insurance home emergency number, they sent out a plumber who stopped it leaking then came back the following day and fitted a new waste pipe.
Well just don't go there about Toilet waste pipes! I was answering a call of nature and happened to glance down at the floor only to see it was decidedly wet at the back of the toilet base ( one of those more modern ones which fit straight to the wall so hiding the waste connector pipe so had to go out and get new one as the old one had holes in it , it's one of those slinky fit ones as pan outlet and soil pipe aren't aligned leveley So fixed that little problem, then after fixing the cistern and turning the water back on it did no more than pour out the fill valve connection/inlet tee (which is one with the plastic thread) though try as I might no way could I get it to seat correctly and not to leak so after some time spent cussing the whole set up went out and got a new fill valve with a brass threaded shank got home fitted it and just like that job done! You can't beat a metal to metal connection can you......
 
Top Bottom