%New sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was looking for a new sleeping bag for ultra light backpacking and the Cumulus Magic 125 UL was suggested.

I ordered one and it arrived today in a big box. My first impression was that it was a joke. It was huge.

IMG_20190507_144206.jpg

But it was very light. 250g including big bag. Inside the big bag was a much smaller bag and this is where the magic starts.

There was no way this sleeping bag was going to fit into the small bag. But it did with very little effort.

IMG_20190507_144502.jpg

I took it outside and had a snooze for an hour and kept very warm. It is cold in Denmark at the moment. It is a down filled sleeping bag. Filled with ethically sourced down 125g of goose down. It is rated to - 3.

I will give it a good test during the summer. But if you are looking for one it is worth a look.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't leave it in the compression sack, it'll crush the down.

A question on the compression if ye will.....
My understanding is that full compression of the down damages the loft over time so that the bag loses effectiveness, therefore it is better stored with no compression.
So, in the event of a long (think several months minimum) tour where the bag is compressed daily, but used nightly, is the down damaged in the same way or does the fact that it gets fluffed out every night minimise or negate the damage?

Many thanks

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My understanding is that full compression of the down damages the loft over time so that the bag loses effectiveness, therefore it is better stored with no compression.
So, in the event of a long (think several months minimum) tour where the bag is compressed daily, but used nightly, is the down damaged in the same way or does the fact that it gets fluffed out every night minimise or negate the damage?

Many thanks
I do not know the answer. I will be using mine for a 3 week tour in the summer.

I will try and find out the answer if someone doesnt tell us on here.

HelenD123

Guru

Many thanks
I used mine for 2-3 months on tour and it's been fine. I did a mixture of camping and other accommodation so it didn't get used every night and therefore remained fully compressed for a couple of days at a time.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There's not much point worrying about it.

a) Down withstands the compression better than the other available options (by quite a large margin)
b) You don't have any choice in the matter, beyond not doing the trip(s), which rather negates the point of buying the bag in the first place.

jay clock

Massive member
There's not much point worrying about it.

a) Down withstands the compression better than the other available options (by quite a large margin)
b) You don't have any choice in the matter, beyond not doing the trip(s), which rather negates the point of buying the bag in the first place.
good answer! My trick is to remove from travel bag at every opportunity when on tour (even when in hotels etc)/ I also hang out in the sun as often as I can on the basis that a bone dry bag is better than a slightly damp one. Particularly if that damp is my sweat!

HelenD123

Guru
good answer! My trick is to remove from travel bag at every opportunity when on tour (even when in hotels etc)/ I also hang out in the sun as often as I can on the basis that a bone dry bag is better than a slightly damp one. Particularly if that damp is my sweat!
Yes, don't pack the bag immediately you get up in a morning. Leave it to air as long as possible.

Top Bottom