new specialized roubaix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Where are the brakes.

rps20130223_163126.jpg

Ohh here they are...

rps20130223_163210.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Sorry about the picture quality, they were taken with a phone which has been dropped in the bath :laugh:
I think the bike looks really cool without the caliper

BikeLiker

£3k - same price as the non-disk SL4, isn't it? Presumably as a marketing exercise to get peeps used to the idea. And they're mechanical, not hydraulic.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Official Di2 hydraulic discs are soon in the offing- http://road.cc/content/news/76756-revealed-shimano-di2-hydraulic-disc-brakes-are-coming

I'm with Ian on the whole disc thing. Some of my riding acquaintances are of the views that they don't want them- why for a summer bike/ugly/callipers work well enough/heavy....
Cable discs are allegedly more bother than hydros- well, in a year and a bit and 6,300 or so miles so far on the Trek, no bother at all. Discs don't care if your rims are covered in crud, or it's raining, or they're aluminium or carbon. They'll just work. And for an (expensive) summer bike- say you'd like a nice flash set of carbon clinchers. You go on a holiday to the Alps or the Pyrenees. Which braking solution is far safer for a 50 mph descent? The one that is far less likely to cause your wheels to delaminate or your tyres to burst, I'd say. For that reason alone, I'd say discs will be getting a lot more popular for road bikes.

I'm kind of surprised that Trek haven't made any moves to launch road bikes (rather than the Portland and its Crossrip successor) with discs yet - they're taking a wait-and-see approach (officially, on the technology and the demand, though I'm sure they're paying attention to how Spesh do with the Roubaix & Secteur disc versions). Domane disc would be my kind of bike. Unless I had the £££££ for a Parlee Z-Zero....

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

You go on a holiday to the Alps or the Pyrenees. Which braking solution is far safer for a 50 mph descent? The one that is far less likely to cause your wheels to delaminate or your tyres to burst, I'd say. For that reason alone, I'd say discs will be getting a lot more popular for road bikes..

If this is an issue why are the pro riders in the tours not using disc's at this time, even in paris roubaix? -- how many times are you aware of decent wheels suffering delamination?
Disk brakes do change the requirement of the wheel however, Zipp are going to be releasing some wheels specifically for disk based bike

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom