new specialized roubaix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If this is an issue why are the pro riders in the tours not using disc's at this time, even in paris roubaix? -- how many times are you aware of decent wheels suffering delamination?
Disk brakes do change the requirement of the wheel however, Zipp are going to be releasing some wheels specifically for disk based bike
UCI rules prohibit them using discs in road racing......for now at least. A casual googling will bring up multiple instances of (ahem) issues with carbon clinchers. And pros generally stick to tubs anyway. Clinchers and complications thereof are a whole other issue for carbon wheels. Zipp and others haven't spent lots of money developing stuff like the Firecrest rims, special coatings, etc for nothing.....

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
A casual googling will bring up multiple instances of (ahem) issues with carbon clinchers. Zipp and others haven't spent lots of money developing stuff like the Firecrest rims, special coatings, etc for nothing.....

That's why I picked my words carefully and said 'decent' as I'm aware of the issues with wheels from manufacturers which have not invested in testing and development.

Was not aware that uci rules prohibited disc brakes though, so I guess that's one all... lol

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That's why I picked my words carefully and said 'decent' as I'm aware of the issues with wheels from manufacturers which have not invested in testing and development.

Was not aware that uci rules prohibited disc brakes though, so I guess that's one all... lol
Big brands can still have problems, not just with braking though- a regular poster over on BR wrote that he'd a couple of people who'd broken 404 Firecrests- 'one decent pothole and they're toast'. That said, the guy I know who's got them did 2k on them last year, including trips to the Pyrenees and Cyprus. He did notice some fade on long descents, and the rims did get a bit warm, no problems though.

Typhon

I am very very tempted by a roubaix and I would like disc brakes but it's a shame the paint job on the disc brake version of the SL4 version is so awful (IMO) the white version the non disc brake comes in is so much better.

Be interested to see what the weight difference would be on a like for like frame built up with discs or standard road brakes.

Although discs to give you a much better 'bite' in wet weather and I can see the point of them in oily urban commutes I'm quite happy with the level of braking I get on 50mph descents with standard brakes... Tyre grip however..!

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Be interested to see what the weight difference would be on a like for like frame built up with discs or standard road brakes

It gains quite a bit of weight, depending upon what disks, calipers being used and if its cable or hydraulic setup your using.
I can get you the weights if your really interested.

Typhon

I'd like to know the weights too. Specialized don't publish them but I've heard the SL4 with pads is 8.1kg so I'm guessing it would be quite weighty (relatively for a £3k bike) with discs?

It gains quite a bit of weight, depending upon what disks, calipers being used and if its cable or hydraulic setup your using.
I can get you the weights if your really interested.

It was more of a passing interest, I can't see finances stretching for a 3k bike at the moment! Thanks for the offer though :-)

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Why did you go for that? Don't you think Specialized offer the least value for money if any bike brand?

Most certainly not unless you define value purely on the specification of the bike alone. Last year one of the guys at my cycle club noticed an issue with his 2008 tarmac so he sent it back to specialized. After investigation they replaced the frameset and forks with 2012 specification tarmac and because the BB on his old bike was FSA MegaExo rather than BB30 they threw in a crank set and when the bike was sent back, it also came with £100 voucher to apologise for having to swap the crank out and inconvenience,. This is long after some brands warranty is no longer valid.
Specialized are willing to advise on modifying their bikes and interested to know what you have done and why.

By contrast another person I know is having issues with his Canyon which is under a year old and it needs to be returned, they want him to strip the bike, pay for shipping it to them and pay for them to return it to him. They have also notified him that if its discovered not to be a manufacturing issue they will charge him labour costs..

So for me personally... Specialized offer exceptional value because I associated that word with service

Typhon

Most certainly not unless you define value purely on the specification of the bike alone. Last year one of the guys at my cycle club noticed an issue with his 2008 tarmac so he sent it back to specialized. After investigation they replaced the frameset and forks with 2012 specification tarmac and because the BB on his old bike was FSA MegaExo rather than BB30 they threw in a crank set and when the bike was sent back, it also came with £100 voucher to apologise for having to swap the crank out and inconvenience,. This is long after some brands warranty is no longer valid.
Specialized are willing to advise on modifying their bikes and interested to know what you have done and why.

By contrast another person I know is having issues with his Canyon which is under a year old and it needs to be returned, they want him to strip the bike, pay for shipping it to them and pay for them to return it to him. They have also notified him that if its discovered not to be a manufacturing issue they will charge him labour costs..

So for me personally... Specialized offer exceptional value because I associated that word with service

From what I've seen Canyon and Specialized do seem at the extremes opposites of the scale in terms of spec for the money but with customer service like that I'm not surprised. That's really shocking from Canyon and stories like that are what put me off a direct order bike. Especially one from a foreign company.

Some people are just happy to pay a bit more for peace of mind and like you I am one of them which is why I'm considering the Roubaix. I have some lightweight wheels to replace the stock ones anyway.

Besides, the roads round here are so bad then if it is as comfortable as everyone says it is, it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Agent Hilda's (I think 2 year old) Spesh frame was replaced with a brand new one by Specialized without question.

I had a similar story to the Canyon one with Van Nicholas with my bike.
It got sorted eventually to my satisfaction but it was a bit of a ding dong with them.

Top Bottom