New sportive - 13 September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

robgul said:
The event is being run to offer riders a great day out in beautiful countryside, some challenging hills and to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support

The organisation is all done by volunteers - unlike many/most Sportives that are run on "a profit to the organiser" basis.

A similar event that we have run for the past 4 years, on exactly the same formula, has been dubbed ".... the best charity ride in the Midlands ... "

There IS signage AND a route sheet AND gpx files for GPS users.

Rob
To me i don't care who gets to keep the money, I'd happily pay £50 if it was a superbly organised event with top notch facilities. I just think charging for the feed stations is a bit tight, and a bit of a pain in the arse.
It's not the money, it's the faff of having to fiddle around in your jersey pocket, having to remember to make sure you set off with enough change, etc.

Re the signage I'm sure they're making the best effort. It just sounds like they're apologising in advance if it's a bit crap because there isn't going to be anybody going round checking it's still in place.

That said i don't want to cast aspersions over it unnecessarily, i'm sure it'll be really enjoyable for anyone choosing to take part. I can't unfortunately, 'cos i've already arranged to go to hamsterly. All the best to those who do however.

bonj said:
I just think charging for the feed stations is a bit tight,

when i did my first 100km ride a couple of weeks ago, i managed quite happily with two bananas and two drinks bottles of robinson squash. if i was doing the 100M, i'm sure 4 bananas would suffice and some malt loaf in my back pockets. surely they wouldn't charge you to top up your bottles with water at the feed stations?

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Ironically, bottled water, from a supporter company, will be available at the feed stations free of charge - and riders will of course be welcome to fill their bidons with water at the feed stations.

I (as the organiser) don't propose to comment further, other than for any necessary update information about the event.

If you have a specific question or comment please PM or use the form on the website and we'll do our best to answer.

Rob

bonj2

trustysteed said:
when i did my first 100km ride a couple of weeks ago, i managed quite happily with two bananas and two drinks bottles of robinson squash. if i was doing the 100M, i'm sure 4 bananas would suffice and some malt loaf in my back pockets. surely they wouldn't charge you to top up your bottles with water at the feed stations?

probably not, no - but I for one like to have as few things in my back pocket as possible, especially what with all the bumph they invariably insist on giving you. Again, it's jsut another thing you have to remember to take - a sportive for me is as pure cycling as possible, if I want to have to take my own food and find my own way then i'll enter an audax for ~£4! (and i'll be more likely to win :hyper:)

however that's not to say i'd let it put me off doing it if I especially liked the route.

nigelnorris

I prefer the arrangement as it is. I can support myself happy in the knowledge that my charitable contribution isn't being degraded by the organisers spending money on stuff that probably wouldn't interest me anyway.

I was gobsmacked to see that all of the entry fees for the Manchester 100 and other similar events go straight into someone's pocket, that just makes the efforts of the volunteers involved in this event all the more impressive imo.

Top Bottom