New sportive - 13 September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

I'm tempted.

Furthest I've done so far is 60miles on a heavy mountain bike, so maybe I better start training with my road bike.

EDIT: nevermind, I'd be at College.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
.... we've just had to increase the order for medals for the number of entrants ... and a local motor dealer is lending us two "event liveried" cars to support the event.

All bodes well for a good day out in the Warwickshire countryside

Rob

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Heads up - entries are still pouring in - we may have to close the lists before the day - enter now to avoid disappointment

Rob

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
HeartAttack said:
I'm very tempted do enter this but do you know of any cheap B&B's in the area or someone with a spare corner on their floor, I'm a cheapskate, or is that skint

There's a link on the website at www.shakespeare100.org.uk on the LH side for travel & accommodation ... best bet is to go through Shakespeare Country's accomm booking service - there's a link in the page.

Edit : Seeing the direction you are coming from - there's a Forumule 1 hotel in Coventry (about 25 mins drive to the start) - rooms at £26 at the moment

Rob

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
wince said:
Hi Rob

We have entered with the same team name, will we all get the same start time so that we can ride as a group?

If you PM or e-mail off the website with real names of the riders and team you have entered I'll let you know how it all works

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rob - when are the GPX files going to be available on the website? I want to load the route into my Memory Map software to check the details, and I want to upload it to my GPS before I travel down for the event.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Rob - when are the GPX files going to be available on the website? I want to load the route into my Memory Map software to check the details, and I want to upload it to my GPS before I travel down for the event.

They will be loaded by 4 September ... if you want to PM me with your name and e-mail addy I may be able to help before that ;) I assume you have entered? (and that you are not the athlete of the same name :biggrin::biggrin:)

Rob

bonj2

sounds a bit cheapskate - " There will be simple signage - but follow the route sheet!" implies they're skimping on the signage, and they're also charging for the food at feed stations.

ColinJ

robgul said:
They will be loaded by 4 September ... if you want to PM me with your name and e-mail addy I may be able to help before that ;) I assume you have entered? (and that you are not the athlete of the same name :biggrin::biggrin:)

Rob
Thanks - that was a quick reply! The 4th will be fine.

I have entered and I am not that that athlete, as you can tell by my avatar!

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
The event is being run to offer riders a great day out in beautiful countryside, some challenging hills and to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support

The organisation is all done by volunteers - unlike many/most Sportives that are run on "a profit to the organiser" basis.

A similar event that we have run for the past 4 years, on exactly the same formula, has been dubbed ".... the best charity ride in the Midlands ... "

There IS signage AND a route sheet AND gpx files for GPS users.

Rob

ColinJ

There is a big debate going on about Bike Events on the Manchester 100 thread. They keep all the money and expect you to raise money for the charity separately.

It says on the Shakespeare 100 website that 90% of each entry fee should be going to the charity. I'm happy to pay £2 for the organisation and £18 to Macmillans. Once I have that GPX file, I'll be pretty independent anyway.

PS I'm really thinking of this as more of an audax type of ride anyway. If the weather is good, I'll make an effort and see how quickly I can get round. If there is as much wind and rain as there was when I did the Cotswold Challenge back in May, I'll just meander round and enjoy the scenery. ;)

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
There is a big debate going on about Bike Events on the Manchester 100 thread. They keep all the money and expect you to raise money for the charity separately.

It says on the Shakespeare 100 website that 90% of each entry fee should be going to the charity. I'm happy to pay £2 for the organisation and £18 to Macmillans. Once I have that GPX file, I'll be pretty independent anyway.

I don't want to get into a big debate and flame war ... BUT we approached Bike Events four years ago and simply could not believe the deal that they "offered" - a massive up-front fee + they, as you say, keep ALL the entry money.

From information elsewhere we know that the "yield" to the charities from Bike Events "organised" rides is very poor indeed - the riders think that the charity gets the money they pay to enter - it doesn't.

That's what makes our approach work - we've managed to build a website that takes online entries with secure payment, the "shop" than manages all the rider card/number production etc ... and it's all open-source (free) software - couple that with volunteers and supporter businesses that provide goods and services in kind and it makes sense ...

BIG news this year is that we have a local car dealer loaning two fully sign-written "team cars" for us to use in the lead up to the ride, and on the day.

Oh, and we have quite a well-know person riding in the 100 miler ... watch the websites next week for details ....

Still time to enter, although we are approaching the limit on numbers.

Rob

Top Bottom