New springs for v brakes (rear) possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shalesearcher

Regular
OK, the rear brakes are of the v type, the caliper arm springs are loaded into the caliper Base, and fit into one of 3 holes, and the other end of the spring is controlled by a grub screw (cannot find a brand name on caliper, except it says Logan I think on the underside) can i replace these springs? If so, do they have a name....?
Thanks in advance....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why are you replacing them? Unless one has broken I cannot think of a reason to replace that is not just attempting to cover up another fault in the braking system (sticking cables, seized/corroded brake pivots, etc).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I tried to get replacement springs for a V-brake I ended up getting a whole new brake, nut kept the old spring off the other side which I was able to use a year or so later. I've only ever had two go and it was on the same bike.

OP
OP
S

Shalesearcher

Regular
I can't find a brand name on the calipers, I know they are v brakes, but are they standard or mini? How'd I know? Just cannot seem to get both pads to engage wheel rim at the same time..

OP
OP
S

Shalesearcher

Regular
These are images of the caliper/pads at the rear, I am struggling to find an image in shops of the pad type, well, it's post fit... What you reckon guys?

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_131812.jpg
    IMG_20171128_131812.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20171128_131929.jpg
    IMG_20171128_131929.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 139

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just check the obvious things 1st to rule out anything simple.

• Are both sides free to move on the pivots?
  • Are the springs for both sides engaged in the same hole in the frame?
  • Are the springs the right way up? Sometimes they have a longer bit on one side than the other and if fitted wrongly might be missing the adjuster screw.
  • Are the springs fitted into the right place in the arm. There are often other voids in the arm casting that the spring can inadvertently go into. Make sure the spring goes into the hole on the static side and the adjuster slot on the adjustable arm (with the small grub screw).

One final thing, your brake cable isn't clamped correctly. It should be under the clamp plate with the elbow rather than between clamp plate and washer

upload_2017-11-28_14-44-3.png

iluvmybike

Über Member
Suggest you rtemove both arms from their mounts and clean them all up, grease the mount and replace - it can make a big difference

OP
OP
S

Shalesearcher

Regular
Hi all, well stripped the v brakes down to individual components, I think I was correct in that one of the springs was compromised/strained, had a fiddle with it with pliers and moleys, got it as good as I could and cleaned/lubed all parts and reassembled with new pads and cable, and cable now attached correctly and they work significantly better now, although I will at some point renew the whole system, the frame has all the holes/lugs etc to put a disc brake on, so may do that down the line.. Also, my new tyres have arrived, didn't overspend, but didn't get the cheapest either, got a pair of Vandorm Crossfire (26 x 1.95) [53-559] off Amazon, £14.99 delivered.. So will pop them on and report back..

chriscross1966

Über Member
If you do decide to go disc have a look at the TRP SPyre's (there's various models, but they're fundamentally all the same). Easy to set up, take the most common pad around, excellent pad/disc life even on normal pads and discs, and the utter joy of zero difference in brake effect no matter what the conditions, you squeeze it this hard and it stops this fast... always... modulation and feel are great so the fact that the only thing you have to judge is how much grip your tyre has is made so much easier... There are plenty of "sexier" brakes out there, and I have no doubt that some of the big disc hydraulics are like throwing an anchor out in terms of stopping power, but they cost a fortune by comparison, or they only take their own brand of pad (Spyres take the same as the most common Shimano systems, the world will make pads for them forever) or else the service kit to fit and maintain them is unobtainable except to the trade etc etc etc... I'm mildly amazed that no-one else makes a sensibly priced twin-piston cable disc setup, but they seem to have it to themselves....

Top Bottom