New start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaijin healer

just a quick question, I'm under going testing for epilepsy at the minute which means I can't drive and riding my road bike are obviously out of the question ( I had 3 seizures last week) I'm thinking about purchasing a recumbent trike to get around on and to feed my riding habit..
Understanding the dangers I will face, any advice about a peculiar trike or setup ?

You need to concentrate on getting better first and hopefully a more understanding of your symptoms,3 seizures in a week would put you in danger riding a recumbent trike if you had a repeat again.
You will have plenty of time to ride soon and I wish you well for a speedy recovery.

But . . . As it is always encouraging when ill, to look forward to better times . . .

. . . I can’t immediately think of why any particular trike would be better than any other for someone with drug controlled epilepsy -but it is you who will be the expert in that hopefully!

So, the cheerful prospect is, you can go out eventually and treat yourself to whichever damn fabulous trike you fancy!

classic33

Leg End Member
Research has shown that you're less likely to have a fit/siezure/episode/call it what you want, so carry on cycling. One question, why a trike? Balance issues.

I ride two wheels and/or four, and ridden one, two, three & four wheels with no problems. I'm no expert in epilepsy, only in how it affects me.

You say you're undergoing testing for epilepsy. I'm taking that as meaning they're uncertain if you actually suffer with it. Until that testing is complete, I'd wait.

It might be something else that's similar. Should you have a repeat, chances are it may be put down to the new activity. If that sounds daft, swimming was blamed 42 years ago for one major seizure. End of swimming for me, as an organised activity.

Best of luck with the tests though, and don't be put off by them.

Top Bottom