My new trike (was prospective trike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hello, :smile:

I'm planning to go look at this trike next week, with a planned price of 2k. I wonder if anyone has any advice, please? What I should be paying attention to? Is it reasonable value at that price?

Thanks very much
James

Ice Recumbent Adventure​

Ergo flow seat,
Twist and fold rigid frame,
Claris derailleur.

1000020705.jpg

1000020704.jpg

1000020703.jpg

1000020702.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
@numbnuts!
Your input is required

Have built a couple of trikes, but no experience of commercial ones. However, the little I know of ICE is they have a very good reputation, both with their products and customer service. They sit at the upper end of things, and this is reflected in the pricing.
Others on here may be able to give a fair estimate as to second hand value . Happy hunting :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For an ICE Adventure HD in good nick I think £2000 is a fair price. Certainly mine would expect to get that and I would not go lower.
I also have a Kettwiessel Evo Steps with suspension which is a heavy beast but very pleasant to ride. It also folds I have never really done that with it. For price I would expect £5000 at least tho' I do not contemplate selling.
The non motor version is much lighter and also much cheaper and more in line with the ICE. One possible plus point for the Kett. is a much better turning cycle.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's bicycle technology, so the usual things apply. The paintwork looks pretty good so maybe not had hard use. Play or tightness in the steering, wheels, or brakes. Nice that it has drum brakes. Some riders like discs but I find that drums work well and are very low maintenance. Look out for signs of wear in the gears. A test ride is the main thing as you're going to see it. When you've come back with eyes like saucers thinking gimme gimme gimme it's hard to think about other things.

But being practical -does the seller have mudguards that go with it? Tadpole trike mudguards are trike specific, having single side mounted fittings, and can be pricey unless you happen across used ones. The front wheels are in a perfect position to spray the rider if you get caught in the rain. Even fine weather riders get rained on sometimes. A relatively minor expense compared to the cost of the trike, but something to think about.

Will it take a standard rack, or is it model specific? Does the seller incude any luggage, bags, etc. Spare tyre, tube? Instruction manual. Light brackets, computer bracket, mirror? With underseat steering and bar end shifters what you can put on your handlebars, and still see it, is a bit restricted. Still, that's part of the fun of riding a Non Standard Human Powered Vehicle, finding ways to make things work the way you want it.

I do have a delta recumbent trike but don't have experience of ICE trikes though as a premium brand they do attract a premium price.

Last edited:

grldtnr

The ICE is a well sorted premium machine, as Twiddler said, mudguards are very desirable, some prefer disc brakes over drums, but I don't think so, mine are drum, what I will say is check they are 90mm ones and not 70 mm ones, if they are Sturmey Archer, it ought be printed on the hub somewhere.
Although it's all standard cycle tech, some parts are specific to the brand, ergo mudguards, racking , light and computer fittings, do make sure it has these if required, otherwise you will be lumbered with buying these from ICE.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, have you ever ridden a trike before, they have their foibles, Upwrong trikes are notoriously difficult to master, if at all, recumbents are easier and tremendous fun once your dialed in, it is a learning curve, believe it or not you do need to balance them, they do fall over if ypu dont get it right, leaning into the turn.
Also there is the issue of recumbent fitness, you use your muscles in a different way, you will ache for sure after your first long ride.
Some may say being so low down ,they are dangerous,and you can't be seen, PIFFLE ! You are far more visible on a recumbent than a solo *upwrong.

Enjoy the ride, I am sure you will.

* Recumbentist refer to solo diamond frames as Upwrongs,

a.twiddler

Veteran
A good point raised by @grldtnr about the ease or otherwise of being able to ride a trike after being used to balancing on two wheels. Traditional upright trikes which in the UK at least resemble a conventional bike with two wheels on the back, or rarely two wheels on the front, can be tricky to learn to ride.

As for recumbent trikes, most people can hop on one of these and ride it at lower speeds easily as long as it fits but if you're used to two wheels, riding on a camber when you're going straight on, or experiencing G forces when cornering, or being rocked from side to side on an uneven road can be disconcerting. A bike is a single track vehicle, so you feel the same bump twice, but a trike has three tracks so it finds more bumps.
It takes a bit of time and experience get used to the different sensations. It's probably easier if you've never ridden a two wheeler, but it's all part of the experience. Most of us don't even notice these things while driving a car, for example but a bike or trike is much more elemental and more connected with your surroundings.

Most people find it difficult to ride a recumbent two wheeler without some practice so it's less likely to be pinched by joyriders but since just about anyone can ride a recumbent trike, at least at low speeds, security can be an issue if you need to leave it in a public place.

When I bought my trike I went to look at it not particularly intending to buy one but it was local so I just had to see it. I had some particular criteria which it just happened to match, for me. So I felt it was meant to be, and I bought it.

The first was the frame size, being small enough and with enough adjustability to fit me. If you're taller or shorter than average it's surprising how limited the adjustment range is on some recumbents.

Secondly was the track width. It's actually 740mm or 29 inches. Not only does this allow you to get through household doorways and gates which are nominally 760mm or 2'6" but I like to get off the beaten track and this lets tou get through many narrow anti motorcycle barriers on to towpaths, disused rail lines, cycleways and the like. The standard track width for tadpole trikes (if anything is standard) is, I believe around 800mm or wider and I think ICE add the NT suffix to their narrower track models. It depends on your criteria. You might prefer the extra stability that a wider track brings, or you might need to get your trike into a house or up a narrow space at the side of your house. It's surprising what a difference 2 to 3 inches in width can make. With a folding trike this might be a less significant factor, but even with a folder you might not want to fold and unfold it every time you use it.

Thirdly, it came with mudguards, a bit skinny, but they were there.

Being that it's a delta trike, so not relevant to the OP's case, it has dual wheel drive, which is a bonus.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My Adventure HD will not fit in my doorway but I can get it inside by removing the seat and it goes in sideways. Too much of a faff to do regularly. I stand with the “top” facing me and lift the trike with steering arms out of the way and shuffle sideways.
Edit to add the Kett. Is wider and I have never tried but I doubt I could get it inside my house.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have an Ice trike. That looks a good price for a used one. They are very stable in corners - coming from a two wheel upright background I soon got to grips with riding mine within a few rides. You do have to watch the camber sometimes and think about where the rear wheel is going on rutted roads. Leg length adjustment is dead easy by just moving the boom. The Ice trikes all fold as well making it easier to transport. Mudguards are advisable so you don't get a face full of yuck when you turn the front wheels. Id also fit clipless pedals or add toe straps - you don not want your foot sipping off and potentially going under the trike!

grldtnr

I have an Ice trike. That looks a good price for a used one. They are very stable in corners - coming from a two wheel upright background I soon got to grips with riding mine within a few rides. You do have to watch the camber sometimes and think about where the rear wheel is going on rutted roads. Leg length adjustment is dead easy by just moving the boom. The Ice trikes all fold as well making it easier to transport. Mudguards are advisable so you don't get a face full of yuck when you turn the front wheels. Id also fit clipless pedals or add toe straps - you don not want your foot sipping off and potentially going under the trike!

No, Defoe don't want 'Leg suck' ,that's nasty, feet slipping of the pedals , getting caught under the cruciform of the trike, things ain't gonna end well !
Get proficient at riding it ,bags of fun to be had, flipping the back out and doing 3 wheel drifts round corners, counter steering, whilst hanging out over the inside wheel to keep it flat, or lifting a wheel and riding on 2 wheels, all excitements to be had.
Not tabi indulge in such antics much🥴, but I have !
Woo hoo, the speed you can get, whoa!😲😲

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thank you everyone, this is l incredibly helpful. I'm going over tomorrow.

One final quick question, if I may, please. It has a max x-seam of 48", and I come up at 46". Is that going to limit my seat angle in any way? I've only ridden a KMX which did have that as an issue.

Thanks
James

Ice Recumbent adventure.
20" wheels
21 gears
Ergo flow seat
Rigid frame
Twist fold
Shimano Claris derailleur Turning circle 4.8 - 5.2m
Weight limit 125kg
Trike weight 16.5kg
Xseam 37" - 48"
Track width 29.5"
Wheel base 37.8" - 44.3"
Ground clearance 5.9"

I like ICE trikes so much that I have two - a QNT from 2006 and a VTX. I’ve also had two Kettwiesels but much prefer the ICEs. Unless you are particularly heavy I wouldn‘t worry about 70mm drums - I have them on the QNT and they have always been perfectly adequate. ICE trikes in general are well put together and their customer service is excellent, as I can attest. They maintain a good stock of parts even for old machines, though most parts are intercompatible. The one you have pictured above looks well looked after. One tip - look underneath and check it hasn’t had damage to the frame tubes. Least likely on the Adventure models though as they have the higher ground clearance.

My QNT has full suspension, my VTX none at all. If you want to add rear or front suspension you can upgrade later (though for £££). But you can deal with less than perfect roads by fitting a set of Big Apple tyres at the cost of minimal rolling resistance. Don’t worry about turning circles - it really isn’t an issue and a three point turn is simple to do. But do fit SPDs or eggbeaters - I’ve heard gruesome tales of complex lower leg fractures and recumbent trikes can go downhill very fast!

I’d say the price was fair in this day and age and for condition. They don’t seem to depreciate much going by ebay sales. And this is a good time to buy, spring/summer a good time to sell if you didn’t get on with it.

grldtnr

Your a long 'un even I would look up to you, and I"m not short!
Same rules apply re leg length, don't over extend the knee have a degree of bend, ideally place 5he heel of your shoe on the the pedal at 9o'clock ( 270°) this will be about right.
I prefer to sit relaxed up right, but your angle of dangle can be more extreme, what you do need to do is be able to spin freely, leaning back into the seat and pushing hard is a no-no, whilst it may feel powerful, the tail is wagging the dog, you don't want that, the more laid back you are the less efficient, tho' you are more aero.
You probably need to experiment to find your best angle of dangle, some say Crank length is important, shorter cranks, as short as 155 are good , promotes the spin cycle, but finding the right cranks are not so easy, I believe BMX ones are that length, but you can compromise with other lengths.
It affects the gear development,it's getting a bit technical, but Mike Burrows the doyen of non standard bikes advocated shorter cranks.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thank you again everyone for your advice. After a trip to Gretna, I'm now the happy owner of a nearly new Adventure trike. Chain extended and first ride completed, and even into a 30mph wind, it was great fun!

Some muscle building to do, and the traffic will take a bit of getting used to, but wonderful to be out on a bike again. It was hard work! Now I need to buy a few accessories, and get the knack of getting it through the door. It turns out track width isn't total width!

For anyone still reading, any tips on arm positions?

Thanks again. :smile:

1000020889.jpg

1000020891.jpg

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Welcome to the "dark side".
The other traffic will get used to you, don't worry. The ride height you will get used to. And a jack will be required to get rid of the grin on your face.

Top Bottom