New steed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Having spent 6 months road biking and commuting on my Kaffenback, getting a lot fitter in the process, I've tried Mountain Biking and loved it. Intend to get out and do a lot more.

With the guidance of friends I was looking for a good quality 2nd hand hard tail that would last me forever. Delighted to announce the arrival of my new steed, a 2nd hand bargain which feels brilliant.

Spec below. Spent a long time talking to the owner (who built it in 2009).

Yeti Arc Frame
Rock Shox Reba SL Front Forks
Mavic 26" Cross Ride Wheels
Specialized Crossroads 26 x 1.95 Tyres
Easton EA70 Seat post
Easton EA70 Stem - 9.5cm
Easton EA70 Straight Bars
Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc brakes and Rotors front and back
Shimano Deore LX Triple Chainset and Bottom Bracket
Shimano Deore LX Rear Mech, Cassette and Chain
Shimano XT Front Mech
Shimano XT SPD Pedals
Ergon GC2 Ergonomic Handlebar Grips/Bar Ends
Specialized 155 Saddle

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341604712.607847.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341604712.607847.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 57

Cubist

Still wavin'
That's a nice looking bike with some quality kit on it. The fork is about as good as it gets without spending really silly money, very "tuneable" and very plush. The SLX brakes take some beating. The previous owner clearly knew what he was doing when he put it together.

I take it you'll be using it for commuting as well as a bit of fun? The bars, stem and bar ends will be great on the tarmac, but you owe it to the bike (and its creator!) to go and get it muddy!!!!! Be prepared to put some wider bars on for off road fun, they'll pay dividends, especially with a shorter stem on twisty stuff.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
That's a nice looking bike with some quality kit on it. The fork is about as good as it gets without spending really silly money, very "tuneable" and very plush. The SLX brakes take some beating. The previous owner clearly knew what he was doing when he put it together.

I take it you'll be using it for commuting as well as a bit of fun? The bars, stem and bar ends will be great on the tarmac, but you owe it to the bike (and its creator!) to go and get it muddy!!!!! Be prepared to put some wider bars on for off road fun, they'll pay dividends, especially with a shorter stem on twisty stuff.

Thanks, yes I think I landed on just the right bike and suspect i'll never change it. Commuting tomorrow, some road, some gravelly paths and some mud. Woohoo.

My intro to MTB started from Endcliffe Park in Sheffield then went West and up over steep and muddy, downhill over rocky and twisty to the Fox House pub, then back down on fast paths with rocks and steps to avoid/jump. I did it on my son's POS BSO. I have apologised to my son for getting him that bike having ridden it myself now. Planning to do the same route on the Yeti.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You'll notice a world of difference! Have you set the forks to your weight and style? I run my Rebas a bit softer/plusher than the manual suggests, but I like to eke out all the travel. On your described route you could do with making sure the rebound setting is right, esp down the steps!!

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
not done anything to the bike yet except put flats on and lube. set off for an 8-mile commute this morning to get familiar with it. chain broke 2 miles in. I have the clank bros tool with the chain breaker but have never used it. rather than mess I walked home and drove in. I will fix tonight.

I have a spare chain but it's an Sram 1050. The weight of opinion on the forum threads I searched seems to say they mix happily so I'll put that on tonight and fix the existing one.

also the disc brakes are catching slightly though I've done the loosen/squeeze/tighten procedure. I think I may take it to an LBS to have a check over.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

VamP

Banned
You'll notice a world of difference! Have you set the forks to your weight and style? I run my Rebas a bit softer/plusher than the manual suggests, but I like to eke out all the travel. On your described route you could do with making sure the rebound setting is right, esp down the steps!!

+1 on running Rebas on softer setting (both +ve and -ve) than the RS recommendations. In fact, I have yet to meet a Rebas owner who runs theirs as high as RS recommends. In fact I am about 30 psi below the recommended pressures.

Great forks.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
+1 on running Rebas on softer setting (both +ve and -ve) than the RS recommendations. In fact, I have yet to meet a Rebas owner who runs theirs as high as RS recommends. In fact I am about 30 psi below the recommended pressures.

Great forks.

I'm 217 lbs and according to the manual should have 99psi. Given that I'm a lot heavier I think I'll start there and soften up. Not that I know how to adjust yet ...

Top Bottom