new tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
I went to alpkit in hathersage today and reserved their new 1 person tent the soloist all up weight 1.2 kgs and looked at the sonder bikes not badly priced for the spec very friendly staff too

tom73

Guru
That’s a nice bit of kit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
AroundTheSite-OffTheTracksSpring2013-PB08.jpg

mm
I recently bought a vaude mark l2p tent very spacious but heavy for 1 at 2.8kg so I returned that and decided to go lightweight instead
- That's not massively massively heavy if your bike is a tourer/tourer type with a decent rack.

I fear you may find a one person tent a bit cramped for cycle touring.

Be careful of being caught by the uber lightweight bug.

I'd be with @Blue Hills on this.
The functionality of the tent is more important than the weight unless endurance touring is your thing.

We have no idea how you intend to use the tent in terms of where, when and how long.
A tent suitable for the UK in summer may not be as suitable as Southern France in the summer! If wild camping is your thing then that benefits from different considerations to if you're using campsites. Similarly, a tent that is designed for summer use will not be as comfortable in winter (if that's your thing). Finally, there's a big difference in using a tent for a few weekends over the summer and a 3 month long trek through Europe/South America or wherever. On a long trip you have less options to bail and the tent is your home night after night after night - space = sanity. When I say space, I mean for you.... and your gear.

I know nothing about Alpkit. There are no reviews for the tent you have on order, a lot of reviews for others. It struck me that the more experienced campers had a few issues.

I do know something about advertised weights - sometimes the exclude pegs and or guylines, sometimes some of the pegs. They hardly ever include a footprint or groundsheet. Personally, I am less worried about the weight of my tent. I'm in it on a daily basis probably longer than I am on the bike.

I started back to camping after a 25 odd year gap because I couldn't afford hotels on longer bike trips. I started off with a cheapy tunnel tent that was way too big and way too heavy, but it was a fantastic tent to relearn camping. I made loads of mistakes but the tent was so strong & robust it took it all in its stride. And when I got a lighter tent, sure it was like I was riding unloaded! I reckon I must have camped in that tent about 150 nights , winter & summer and learned so much about what was important for me in terms of features. I upgraded because cooking in the porch was next to impossible in poor weather.

As for the Alpkit bikes they seem overpriced to me. I wouldn't be a fan of compact and prefer the flexibility and simplicity of a triple chainring. On a loaded bike the ability to drop through the gears on the front can be very comforting. The bikes also don't seem to have racks and mudguards included. The former are essential, the latter advisable, depending on your plans.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
I'd be with @Blue Hills on this.
The functionality of the tent is more important than the weight unless endurance touring is your thing.

We have no idea how you intend to use the tent in terms of where, when and how long.
A tent suitable for the UK in summer may not be as suitable as Southern France in the summer! If wild camping is your thing then that benefits from different considerations to if you're using campsites. Similarly, a tent that is designed for summer use will not be as comfortable in winter (if that's your thing). Finally, there's a big difference in using a tent for a few weekends over the summer and a 3 month long trek through Europe/South America or wherever. On a long trip you have less options to bail and the tent is your home night after night after night - space = sanity. When I say space, I mean for you.... and your gear.

I know nothing about Alpkit. There are no reviews for the tent you have on order, a lot of reviews for others. It struck me that the more experienced campers had a few issues.

I do know something about advertised weights - sometimes the exclude pegs and or guylines, sometimes some of the pegs. They hardly ever include a footprint or groundsheet. Personally, I am less worried about the weight of my tent. I'm in it on a daily basis probably longer than I am on the bike.

I started back to camping after a 25 odd year gap because I couldn't afford hotels on longer bike trips. I started off with a cheapy tunnel tent that was way too big and way too heavy, but it was a fantastic tent to relearn camping. I made loads of mistakes but the tent was so strong & robust it took it all in its stride. And when I got a lighter tent, sure it was like I was riding unloaded! I reckon I must have camped in that tent about 150 nights , winter & summer and learned so much about what was important for me in terms of features. I upgraded because cooking in the porch was next to impossible in poor weather.

As for the Alpkit bikes they seem overpriced to me. I wouldn't be a fan of compact and prefer the flexibility and simplicity of a triple chainring. On a loaded bike the ability to drop through the gears on the front can be very comforting. The bikes also don't seem to have racks and mudguards included. The former are essential, the latter advisable, depending on your plans.
hi I have a dawes Karakorum for touring not the lightest but a solid bike to get back into touring if I don't like the tent I can return it its got a 3 year warrenty
but the inner is 200cm long and im 1.88 m the other tent they do is the ordos 2 at 1.3 kg but been told not good in the wind I used to have a phoenix phreerunner goretex tent that was great it got nicked years ago if I cant get on with that tent do most cycle tourers have a tent big enough to get their bike under cover or not if so I like the force ten xenon plus what about the wild country hoolie 2 tent ive heard good and bad I would only tour in the spring summer and autumn no more than 2 weeks at a time my wanderlust days are over

Right!
There's a lot there to sift through.
Firt of all if you have a bike then I'm not sure why you're looking for a new one?

Secondly, 3 year warranty covers defects not a change of mind. Trading rules allow return of Internet purchases within a specific time for no reason - so long as the goods are not used. It does not mean you can try a tent out in the wild, then decide to return it.

As regards the Ordos (or any tent) just how important is it to survive a windstorm? I mean, if you're looking at 2 week tours in Spring/Summer/Autumn just how real an issue is it? There are nearly always options, either sheltered locations or buildings such as hotels etc. In really windy (dangerous) circumstances I can't see too many emergency services places sending you away. If you're heading to Patagonia, then wind strength might be more of an issue.
Don't forget too that someone might complain about a tent when really they set it up wrong.

It's the modern conundrum - equipment ridicilously overspecced for what we need, using fear to make sales.

The tents you mention I have no direct experience of.

I'd be more concerned with
practicality - does it fit me and my gear in a practical and useable way.
Strength: Will it survive what I am likely to face
Set-Up/Breakdown: Is this straightforward, easy to do, especially if travelling solo.
Ventilation: Important for comfort in warm & cold weather.

Most tourers do not cover their bike under their tent, but some do. MSR have such a tent. To be honest, it doesn't matter too much what most cycle tourists do - it only matters that what you do is good for you.

Agree with you about the bikes hobbes - just looked at one which relies on an 11-42 cassette to try to balance the maths of just having two at the front. Chainset apparently called the "gossamer" - what sort of name is that for something you are going to be working with a ton of luggage? I look forward to more condom word play from their copywriters.

edit - I do have some alpkit bits and pieces in case folks think I am dead set against them.

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
There's nothing essential about racks. All those 'bikepackers' with long saddle bags and frame bags can't be ignored.

I've done two 2000km tours with just a Nitto mini rack on a 40 year old 14 speed bike. It has a double. Never toured with mudguards. But then I haven't used a paper map since the 80s either.

I've only done about 100 miles on my new sonder bike, but I'm happy with the price I paid for it and I'm champing at the bit to get out into the big country on it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I still use paper maps, But I live in the States, and rural areas don't necessarily have internet, and I like paper maps and still have all the accouterments for their use, like lensatic compass, map measurer, and an analog thermometer and barometer.
Now I feel like I should tour on a Hercules 3 speed!

I've only done about 100 miles on my new sonder bike, but I'm happy with the price I paid for it and I'm champing at the bit to get out into the big country on it.

That’s the nail on the head right there, it’s value for money whatever you pay if that’s how feel about it, whether other people think it’s value is irrelevant

Enjoy

There's nothing essential about racks. All those 'bikepackers' with long saddle bags and frame bags can't be ignored.

I've done two 2000km tours with just a Nitto mini rack on a 40 year old 14 speed bike. It has a double. Never toured with mudguards. But then I haven't used a paper map since the 80s either.

Apologies, I never intended to pee all over your new bike.
I was giving my opinion on the bikes based on general touring.
I've nothing against bikepacking, but it is currently a minority segment, at least in my part of the world - my opinion was informed on that.
Nothing against single or doubles either, just happen to believe for touring a triple is optimum.
And I never bothered with mudguards for years. But I got some last year for my commute and my feet thanked me. They're now on my tourer.
I hope you have many happy miles on your bike.

Top Bottom