New things. The anti-nostalgia thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nothing to be embarrassed about, if people want to take everything they hear quite litterally, then let them all jump off a cliff!
On the other hand imprecise language can and is used as a "con trick". I'm thinking of Politicians' use of phrases like "common sense" and "family values". I'm afraid when these are uttered I want the speaker's definitions......

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
back on topic........... Lebanese restaurants.
Ahem. Going back to my theme for the thread - I remember first going to Al-Shami on Walton Crescent in Oxford much more than 20 years ago (and having a very nice bottle of Chateau Musar). Its website says it's been there since 1988.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On the other hand imprecise language can and is used as a "con trick". I'm thinking of Politicians' use of phrases like "common sense" and "family values". I'm afraid when these are uttered I want the speaker's definitions......

Which is all very well, but we are just talking about the way people speak, not as a way of deceiving (although under CERTAIN circumstances I can see how that might be construed as happening).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On Monday, for one day only, there was no violent crime in New York.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Having a dustbin, a compost bin. a bin for newspaper and board, a bin for glass and a bin for other stuff some of which is debatable.

You're living in the wrong bit of the city. Under our regime, you'd only have a dustbin and a recycling box,and we'd helpfully sort out and leave behind anything unrecyclable for you to learn from*.

*cue gales of ironic laughter from me and my colleagues about the possibility of educating some sectors of society - of which Asterix is almost certainly not a member, being both literate and intelligent.

Top Bottom