New things. The anti-nostalgia thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Actually, I once did have a 'you nothing about coffee you idiot' moment once when in Italy I innocently asked for a Late. :blush:

was it cold by then?

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2166851, member: 259"]Yebbut I can only get mature cheddar singles now and they're rubbish for burgers. Only the mildest, most processed 'cheddar' will do the bland, oozing loveliness properly.

08734720000_20110818120140716?hei=248&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0.jpg
[/quote]
tesco value cheese slices are very good for that melted plastic experience. personally would rather a nioce bit of cave aged cheddar greated on and grilled to melting . unless i am pi55ed then the tesco stuff is just fine :smile:

Herr-B

Cars that don't overheat on long hills. Brilliant.

Every summer long distance holiday trip of my childhood in the 60s was marred by at some point having to wait while our car's engine cooled down enough to add more water to the radiator. This wasn't just our car - roads at hills and jam blackspots were lined with vehicles with their bonnets up all doing the same. No nostalgia for it - it was a complete pain.
To this I'll add decent fan belts, now my mother no longer has to remove her tights halfway across the country, which quite frankly is a blessing for all. :thumbsdown:

Stonepark

Über Member
Puncture Proof Tyres
Carbon Fibre Fly Rods
Realistic Camouflage Pattern Clothing
Wikipedia/Online Library/Information (i.e. accessible instant knowledge transfer)

asterix

Comrade Member
Sneaking inside by 2 years, the Channel Tunnel (opened 1994).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Decent Australian Wine.

Controversial I know, lets see how many wine snobs quote this one and laugh at my apparent boorishness.
"A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit."

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOZccv9ym8

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Good things:
nice continential stuff such as panettone & stollen being easily available.

Chuggers. Lousy summer weather.
I remember stollen in the 1970s. And lebkuechen - a staple of childhood Christmases. And we may not have had chuggers, but the charity collectors were pretty persistent - and door-to-door much more than they are now.

Top Bottom