New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eevvee

Hi to everyone from -
60 year old male (for the next 9 days anyway)

I had done a lot of jogging in the past but over the last year was not putting any effort in so had to do,something.

Started cycling on a Townsend Mountain Bike (which had been sitting in the shed since my daughter left for Australia about 8 years ago) in the summer - of the 10 gears 4 were working, and it was hard hard cycling with limited gears and big fat tyres.

Enjoying the pain I started searching for a bike and after a few months bought a couple of weeks ago a previously loved (well neglected as it had only been cycled from Halfords to the guys house) 2012 Boardman Hybrid Team - the difference was amazing, a week ago I bought through eBay, again previously loved, a pair of Shimano cycle shoes M122' and a pair of pedals from Wiggle, - another amazing change - and only one or two scary moments unclipping.

Today was the first run with a bike computer and 13.05 miles in 1 hour - which I am happy with.

eevvee

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello, and welcome! Good luck with the cycling, I'm sure you will be doing your Boardman proud!

bainy16

Hello all i'm michael from Doncaster and new to cycling got my first bike due to pressure from the father-in-law lol and with the help of the cycle to work scheme,hoping to get fit enough for July as i'm off to france for the tour and wanting to climb Alp D'huez.
Looking forward to using the forum.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello all i'm michael from Doncaster and new to cycling got my first bike due to pressure from the father-in-law lol and with the help of the cycle to work scheme,hoping to get fit enough for July as i'm off to france for the tour and wanting to climb Alp D'huez.
Looking forward to using the forum.
Hello Michael! :welcome:

AberJim

Howdy all, I'm Jim & currently residing in very wet west Wales. I used to do lots of mountain & road biking in my youth but it all stopped (can't remember why) work/family, the usual stuff. But recently came across a Triban 3 and I'm back!! Looking to enjoy distance cycling & getting advice along the way

Cheers

Jim

Pat "5mph"

Howdy all, I'm Jim & currently residing in very wet west Wales. I used to do lots of mountain & road biking in my youth but it all stopped (can't remember why) work/family, the usual stuff. But recently came across a Triban 3 and I'm back!! Looking to enjoy distance cycling & getting advice along the way

Cheers

Jim

:welcome: to cycle chat, Jim!

Radchenister

Veteran
Afternoon all, just got back into cycling, I've been out on my old MTB for a few months now but it's been a bit messy of late, so took the plunge and bought a road bike - yesterday was my first road ride on a new Triban 3 delivered fresh from Decathlon the day before; aching a bit today but not too bad :blush: .

Looks like I have a similar story to many here on here, I'm on a 'come back' after far too long 'resting' - look forward to chatting to you all and perhaps the odd ride out in the future.

Pat "5mph"

Afternoon all, just got back into cycling, I've been out on my old MTB for a few months now but it's been a bit messy of late, so took the plunge and bought a road bike - yesterday was my first road ride on a new Triban 3 delivered fresh from Decathlon the day before; aching a bit today but not too bad :blush: .

Looks like I have a similar story to many here on here, I'm on a 'come back' after far too long 'resting' - look forward to chatting to you all and perhaps the odd ride out in the future.

:welcome: aches will be better tomorrow!

Radchenister

Veteran
Thanks Pat 5mph - managed 23K round a local loop in 1hr 7mins (according to MapMyRide), including a fair amount of faffing with a totally new bike, getting used to fiddling with gears, what cogs worked with each other etc. It was my first ever time out on a road bike and it's fair to say it feels seriously odd to begin with, after crashing over everything on a MTB, it's like riding on something made of glass but not too bad a start for a mid 40 something carrying far too much excess baggage ;) .
A long enough outing to discover the pluses and misuses - saddle was set slightly too low, the SPDs shoe position and handle bars were not quite right (didn't take any tools - dope), also presume there will need to be an element of settling in to the new riding position and style. If I get my act together I'll try and log some info on Strava and get onto the beginners progress thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom