New to Cycling advice appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDum

Hi,

So i got a bike, my first bike since i was a kid. It's in such great condition and was obviously loved by the previous owner. I try and keep myself fit, I stay in Dundee and you can't get away from the hills here so I've been using them to get fitter and to lose a bit of weight. I want to use my bike to do this instead. Ive been out on it a couple of times. I've kept myself at a steady pace on more flat roads but it's HARD! My thighs are on FIRE! I plan to cycle at least 2 miles a day, allowing myself to stop when i need to.

How long will it take for my body to get used to riding? What can i do to help with the pain in my legs? Is there any kinds of foods that can help? I really look forward to finding out more about cycling. I am so ready to get into it this year! Thank you for reading. I'd appreciate any answers to my questions.. :smile:

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome:
I don't know too much, but having the bike set up properly is a must (as I found out!)
It could be that your body just needs time to adjust to riding again or you could need adjustments to the saddle height etc.

When I started cycling back in November I found it really tough going....now I'm doing 15 mile rides, which is good for me with my various medical issues :smile:
I think it took a good month or so of regular riding before my muscles stopped aching, but everyone's different.
Someone will be along to offer better advice...hang in there but most of all....enjoy!!

byegad

Legendary Member
Is the seat high enough? With a straight, locked knee your heel should just reach the pedal. When you pedal you use the ball of your foot and the ankle flexes so your knee never locks on the move but this is a good first guide. You may or may not be able to put a toe on the ground while on the saddle, but it doesn't matter either way. With the seat so low that you can get your foot wholly or partly flat on the ground you will get the burning you describe.

OP
OP
D

DiddlyDum

Thanks to both of you for your replies. byegad when i sit on the seat i can stand flat on the ground. i take it its better for me to be tiptoed on the ground instead?? Cycling is going to be my only mode of transport from now on and intend to cycle everyday. i want to do it right though and get the most out of it. :smile:

A good diet is important ... As for the legs it takes a while 1/2 years to build up !
slower the better .. if you are going to make cycling your passion.. small steps !
Lots of reading on Dos n do nt

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
As byegad says regarding your legs, also, your shoulders should be near perpendicular to (or just behind) the bottom bracket, (where the cranks rotate).
Handle bar height is another thing to look at, generally women prefer their bars higher than the saddle, but try them at the same height to start.
(If they are too far away, you should be able to fit a shorter extension.)
Otherwise, just 'listen to your body' & don't use too big/high a gear; spin don't push hard on the pedals.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @DiddlyDum and :welcome: from Glasgow!
As others have pointed out, your saddle might be too low, try raising it a bit each time until you feel comfortable.
Your legs should not be on fire, you should have a sore bottom instead :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @DiddlyDum and :welcome:.

If you can put both feet flat on the ground when seated on the bike your saddle is too low which will cause the burning muscles. If you set it up as described by Byegad you'll find it much easier.:thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome from powys. The others above have given great advise. It takes time. Don't do too mch to soon.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome all the above advice is spot on and if you act on it will help,all I would add is when I started out I just kept doing the same run until it got easier and then added a bit and just keep at it and if you need to just get of and walk a little way I found that helped me out why I cant say but once I got back on it sure felt better,oh and also some one told me " it doe's not get easier you just get faster" you will I feel sure one day soon work out (as I did) that statement to a point is quite correct you will notice that you are faster in a higher gear etc and trust me that will not take long so happy riding and keep in there you will overcome the burning.

byegad

Legendary Member
Is the seat high enough? With a straight, locked knee your heel should just reach the pedal. When you pedal you use the ball of your foot and the ankle flexes so your knee never locks on the move but this is a good first guide. You may or may not be able to put a toe on the ground while on the saddle, but it doesn't matter either way. With the seat so low that you can get your foot wholly or partly flat on the ground you will get the burning you describe.

That is why you are finding so damn hard. Forget putting a foot down while in the saddle, that's what the cross bar is for you slide forward off the seat as you stop and place a foot firmly on the floor. As you have it set up now will never work for you. Try lifting the seat until you get your heel on the pedal with your leg straight and knee locked. Then see if you can get a foot on the floor. This is best done leaning slightly against a wall with someone holding the bike and you from falling. If you are on your own do it in a passageway where you aren't able to fall or even between to armchairs back to back with just enough room for you and the bike between them. You'll be amazed at how much easier the miles go by.

Top Bottom