New to cycling mid life crazyness help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

streetwisek

Help super interested in buying a scott foil rc 10 2023 . My issue is i would also like tomtour in this bike . Is this possible what gear would I need . Totally new to this . But my mind is so set in the is aero bike . I did consider a derviger s works

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi and welcome!

There are no rules about what bike you can use to tour, however lots of us who tour value comfort, mudguards, carrying capacity, lighting, robustness. I suspect few tourers value saving seconds.

You do you!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The foil is a race bike, and can't take panniers or racks. So you probably need two bikes if you plan on touring as well. Do you cycle much ? If you want a do it all bike, then get a gravel bike with spare wheels.

Welcome @streetwisek
If you'd like to offer up a bit more than a couple of lines people might be able to help better. Things like where you'd like to tour, for how long, how you'd like to tour (self supported vs supported, camping or not, solo or in a group etc.)

However, if you're
Totally new to this
it might be advisable to hold off on those kinds of amounts at the start.

It might also be helpful to check out CGOAB for some touring info and lots of inspiration. You can even see the wide variety of bikes that people have used to tour over the decades.

Jameshow

Veteran
Have a look at the Scott addict gravel or the Cannondale supersix evo se.

Even then you'll want to bike pack / b+b rather than panniers+ tent.

fossyant

Oh, new to cycling - lured by a spangly unsuitable £5k race bike. If you've not done much cycling before, don't go jumping on one with a "layperson's middle aged back". You need a fitting, and they take many miles to get used to. It's not like jumping on a more 'sit up' type bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The foil is a race bike, and can't take panniers or racks. So you probably need two bikes if you plan on touring as well. Do you cycle much ? If you want a do it all bike, then get a gravel bike with spare wheels.

This is where modern bike packaging luggage would come in. Essentially bike packing luggage allows you to tour on your road bike or indeed most bikes not designed for touring.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Has a tendancy to scuff up paintwork unless you get out with the heli-tape.

Ah, so you’ve used bike packing luggage for touring then? I’m on a recumbent and luggage designs are different

the snail

Guru
Help super interested in buying a scott foil rc 10 2023 . My issue is i would also like tomtour in this bike . Is this possible what gear would I need . Totally new to this . But my mind is so set in the is aero bike . I did consider a derviger s works

Road bikes are rubbish for touring if you plan on carrying more than a credit card. For the price of those bikes you could probably buy something better suited for touring and a decent road bike and still have change for a beer or two. All depends on exactly what sort of riding you will be doing, which might not be same as what you think you want to do.

fossyant

Ah, so you’ve used bike packing luggage for touring then? I’m on a recumbent and luggage designs are different

Yes ! - only a two day one, but the bar bag rubbed some paint off where I'd missed. If I wanted to do propper touring, I'd use racks (like I do for commuting - that bike is actually suitable for touring too, but wouldn't have been much good in the end on the Pennine Bridleway (rigid MTB) - I thought about it, but ended up using a full suspension MTB and needed it.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You will need to check out weight limits for your model of bike and things like wheels - high end road bikes are NOT designed for carrying heavy weights - they are for going fast along roads. Wheels in particular are going to get wrecked, assuming you have them with a low spoke count, and then load them up with a shed load of luggage of whatever kind. In general, touring bikes have a longer wheel base and higher spoke count in wheels and componentry is beefier.

Jameshow

Veteran
Road bikes are rubbish for touring if you plan on carrying more than a credit card. For the price of those bikes you could probably buy something better suited for touring and a decent road bike and still have change for a beer or two. All depends on exactly what sort of riding you will be doing, which might not be same as what you think you want to do.

What about a debit card?!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom