New to cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hello, I am new to cycling. Given up horse for cycle. I am 60 yrs old and female. I am not comfortable on roads and prefer off road tracks. I bought a second hand bike but it is so uncomfortable off track! I like the bikes with the basket on the front but are they for off track? I am also petite! Inside leg 27 inch. Also the saddle on my present bike is so narrow and so uncomfortable!
:hello:
I started cycling again just before my 50th birthday. I'm 51 now.
I struggled to start with but it's amazing how quickly you build up fitness on a bike!
I mainly ride a hardtail (front suspension only) mountain bike, and use towpaths, trails and woods. I don't like riding on the roads so I stick to what I'm happy with.
I have a Dawes hybrid bike, complete with pannier racks and a basket, but I much prefer the mountain bike as it's what I'm used to!

As for saddles, it took me a while to find the right one for me (3rd time lucky!). Everyone is different, you'll find something that suits!

This is my bike...

DSCF0041.JPG

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hi Isabella, brilliant to hear that you are taking up cycling. I am unashamed that I have a gel cover on my saddle - someone bought it for a present and though I can ride without it I really like it! If you are a serious roadie with a posh carbon bike you'd never contemplate such a thing (I'm told) as over your 100mile average daily ride it would chafe something awful. But if you only do a few miles at a time like me then it just adds to the comfort.

Something like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe/extra-gel-saddle-cover-ec039769

I use it on my hybrid runaround (the most I've ever done on it in one day is 15 miles in 3 to 5-mile sections).

Welcome to the website!
Thanks for the info
Hi Isabella,

Welcome to cycling.

I see that you have already bought a second hand bike. What bike is it? Could you post a photo of it?

We do a lot of riding on country and forest tracks on our bikes and it is no problem. I am guessing you have not bought anything like a racing bike and your bike has not got very thin tyres. If your tyres are about 2 fingers wide or more, it will be fine.

There is no problem having a basket on the front but they tend to rattle a bit so you need to pack it tight and it is good to have a waterproof cover on top. The alternative is to have a handlebar bag which clips on and off. There are plenty on e bay and in cycle shops to choose from. They tend not to rattle and get on your nerves.

Saddles are a law unto themselves and are a purely personal choice. We could write books on this subject. But the best people to advise you on here are the women.

You may find it hard to begin with but it does get easier and it gets much easier when the warmer weather comes. So don't give up.

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hello! You'll get used to the saddle and become more confident to get out on the roads. Just take it a ride at a time and have fun!!!
Thank you for your post. I am used to an equine saddle so sitting on a tiny, unforgiving form of torture, over bumps is, well torture! I know you say it will get better, well I will keep trying but I think I may invest in a new bike if I am going to cycle more to keep fit? Do they do saddles in XXXL? Stay safe.

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
:hello:
I started cycling again just before my 50th birthday. I'm 51 now.
I struggled to start with but it's amazing how quickly you build up fitness on a bike!
I mainly ride a hardtail (front suspension only) mountain bike, and use towpaths, trails and woods. I don't like riding on the roads so I stick to what I'm happy with.
I have a Dawes hybrid bike, complete with pannier racks and a basket, but I much prefer the mountain bike as it's what I'm used to!

As for saddles, it took me a while to find the right one for me (3rd time lucky!). Everyone is different, you'll find something that suits!

This is my bike...

View attachment 75333
Hello, didn,t ever think there was a chat line for cyclists! I am a complete beginner so as you have mentioned I will plan to finding the most comfortable saddle in the world for myself! I,ve always fitted a saddle for the horse mainly so complete turn around to find an inanimate object to fit myself. Stay safe.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you for your post. I am used to an equine saddle so sitting on a tiny, unforgiving form of torture, over bumps is, well torture! I know you say it will get better, well I will keep trying but I think I may invest in a new bike if I am going to cycle more to keep fit? Do they do saddles in XXXL? Stay safe.
If you are used to horse saddles then have a look at the range of Brooks leather saddles, they mould to fit your 'sit bones' (Bum) and although not requiring as much maintainance as a horse saddle will respond to softening products in a similar way ( Brooks 'Proofide' is best but a gentle application of 'Neatsfoot' oil won't hurt them)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All my saddles are Brooke's saddles. They can take ages to break in and they are expensive. You have to weigh up the pros and cons before you buy one. They do not suit everyone. I'm lucky, I must have a Brooke's bum.

There is a saddle called Charge Spoon. I have never had one but they get very good reviews and are much cheaper than Brooke's.

oldroadman

Veteran
Thoughts on saddles...for a female, a woman specific saddle is a good starting point. These are a bit wider to accommodate the female pelvis, and there are quite a few with the centre cut out, which takes pressure (I am told by others) off the "delicate bits". Soft may sound good, but then support is minimal and the movement generated by slight bounce can cause chafing. better a firmer base and good gel padded top. Once use to that all should be fine. The main thing being to enjoy, take things steadily, then in a few months look back to where you were at when you first started, and be amazed at the changes.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not the best time of year to start cycling, But :thumbsup: for doing it, if you carry on through this rough weather:thumbsup: When the spring and warmer weather does come you will start to feel good, As for bikes and saddles there is plenty of advice on here, Enjoy what ever you do and stay safe.

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome: Hi
I used to ride horses but now ride a bike instead.
When I first started could only manage a short trip, just built it up gradually. Also started off with a mountain bike then switched to road.
Remember when you first started riding horses, how your legs ached but you got used to it, similar with bike :smile:
The largest, widest saddle isn't always the most comfortable. Edinburgh bikes and probably other bike shops have a gel pad you sit on, it measures your seat bones and then you can get the saddle to fit you.
Best of luck and have fun!

flyingfish

Hi Isabella
Welcome aboard. My O. I. & I took up cycling earlier in the year. Hurts at first but soon gets easier. We have found our local "sustrans cycle group " have given us great help. Their guided rides have really encouraged us & given us confidence
Pete

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Isabella and :welcome: to CC!
I to am 50+, petite (well, short really :laugh:), started cycling at 48.
Excellent advice has been given already, I can only add that your fear of the roads could improve by taking a cycling with confidence course - mind, I say improve, not vanish completely. Ultimately, it's no point stressing yourself if you're not planning on commuting by bike.
About the saddle, try a few, there are indeed "big" saddles on the market aimed at ladies.
Something like these, maybe? :hello:

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hi Isabella and :welcome: to CC!
I to am 50+, petite (well, short really :laugh:), started cycling at 48.
Excellent advice has been given already, I can only add that your fear of the roads could improve by taking a cycling with confidence course - mind, I say improve, not vanish completely. Ultimately, it's no point stressing yourself if you're not planning on commuting by bike.
About the saddle, try a few, there are indeed "big" saddles on the market aimed at ladies.
Something like these, maybe? :hello:
Wow didn,t know there were so many to choose from! How can a person decide? Can,t possibly buy all? Stay safe!

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Another 50 something here. Take your time. Go slowly. Dont try to do to much to quickly. Go at your own pace. If you get tired, stop. And there is no shame in walking if you have to.

some people think they cant get on a bike and go for miles...they can't. They end up with sore bums, arms necks and anything else In between. You can start by just going up and down the road where you live. Once you are comfortable try going a bit further.

AS for a bike, id advise you to go to a bike shop, get a proper fitting, and take theyre advise. As for a saddle, ask them if they will exchange it if it does not suit you. Everyone is different and what suits one wont suit another. Good luck.
I am going to a local bike shop. Have spoken to them via phone with my requests so next week will go in and see what is on offer? Hope I can make the correct decision!!! Thank you to everyone,s advice

paddypete

i have a selle royal somthing,its one of the three items that is left from the original,raleigh mtb,i fixed up,but after 30-40 miles,you wouldnt know,you were on a bike

Top Bottom