New to cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome:
Another ex Horse rider. My last horse died in his sleep last winter. We had got to the stage of having cuddles, carrots and reminiscing about good looking paramedics and reliving the glory days when we were both fearless.
My bikes (I have 2) are bombproof. They don't shy at lorries, sweet wrappers blowing in the wind or people with brollies. I like them. It's taken me a while to find the right saddle though. I've ended up with a Specialized Body Geometry Riva (Ladies) and it's brilliant. Comfy for a short ride, comfy for a long ride. All for 25 quid. I love it.

Cycle fitness takes a while, just as riding fitness does. When I am going over sharp bumps I just stand up on my pedals and then my lady bits don't get bashed. I've been through a few bikes in the last 5 years and now have 2 bikes that are perfect for me. Our Jack Russell comes cycling too. I have a handlebar bag that she will fit in when we are on roads or she gets really tired. Don't tell this lot about the handlebar bag though, as they know which 2 bikes I have and neither are really the handlebar bag type of bike. The dog doesn't care though. It's not on all the time, in fact it's not on most of the time.

Mrs M

Guru
:smile:
Another ex Horse rider. My last horse died in his sleep last winter. We had got to the stage of having cuddles, carrots and reminiscing about good looking paramedics and reliving the glory days when we were both fearless.
My bikes (I have 2) are bombproof. They don't shy at lorries, sweet wrappers blowing in the wind or people with brollies. I like them. It's taken me a while to find the right saddle though. I've ended up with a Specialized Body Geometry Riva (Ladies) and it's brilliant. Comfy for a short ride, comfy for a long ride. All for 25 quid. I love it.

Cycle fitness takes a while, just as riding fitness does. When I am going over sharp bumps I just stand up on my pedals and then my lady bits don't get bashed. I've been through a few bikes in the last 5 years and now have 2 bikes that are perfect for me. Our Jack Russell comes cycling too. I have a handlebar bag that she will fit in when we are on roads or she gets really tired. Don't tell this lot about the handlebar bag though, as they know which 2 bikes I have and neither are really the handlebar bag type of bike. The dog doesn't care though. It's not on all the time, in fact it's not on most of the time.
Aw sorry to hear about your horse, cuddles and carrots were always good.
Yep, handstands in the middle of the road when an evil, discarded crisp packet was on the loose on the grass verge were always "fun" the bike doesn't react.
I also have a Specialized BG saddle, the Ariel, had it on the mountain bike, now on the road, very comfy. Also, not just me that stand up over the bumpy bits!

OP
OP
I

Isabella

Regular

Nice to hear from ex horse riders who have turned to cycling too! So sorry to hear about your horse, It was kind of Mother Nature to let your horse die in his sleep! I want to be with my boy and the Shetlands when the time comes. I do like the bikes with the low stopover and the bag on the front - almost like the Dutch style but with gears, comfy saddle etc. am I asking for too much? Good idea about standing up in the pedals for the bumps, perhaps when I get a little more fit and more confident I will take one of the jack,s with me too! Stay safe.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice to hear from ex horse riders who have turned to cycling too! So sorry to hear about your horse, It was kind of Mother Nature to let your horse die in his sleep! I want to be with my boy and the Shetlands when the time comes. I do like the bikes with the low stopover and the bag on the front - almost like the Dutch style but with gears, comfy saddle etc. am I asking for too much? Good idea about standing up in the pedals for the bumps, perhaps when I get a little more fit and more confident I will take one of the jack,s with me too! Stay safe.
Sounds like a Pendleton could be your sort of thing. They are a bit hefty though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Isabella, post: 3446815, member: 40601". ] I do like the bikes with the low stopover and the bag on the front - almost like the Dutch style but with gears, comfy saddle etc. am I asking for too much? Good idea about standing up in the pedals for the bumps, perhaps when I get a little more fit and more confident I will take one of the jack,s with me too! Stay safe.[/QUOTE]

You aren't asking too much, but as Saluki says, step through bikes tend to be heavy.

This is because the metal needs to be thicker to make up for the absence of the cross bar.

A Dutch style bike has a very laid back seating position and relatively high handlebars, they are comfy but are not designed for standing up while pedalling:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-black-creek-3-trekking-women-comfort-687241/aid:687260

This bike is not a full step through, but has a low cross bar.

In Rose speak, it's a unisex, and would be easier to throw around than a Dutch bike.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-black-creek-3-trekking-unisex-sport/aid:687171

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Isabella,

FWIW, my wife and I started riding in November, mostly along the Grand Union canal towpath. I started us off by repairing my son's Tesco Special, which caused my wife, who is older than you, to go out and buy a Raleigh Caprice which she rides along the towpath. That sounds like what you are asking for. It works, but it isn't as capable as my bike shaped object (I think that's the term) although I do get rather muddy.

Top Bottom