New to heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..... or do the test you describe hold it at the same intensity and your AV. HR drops.

In a limit test, which is effectively a test to failure, it's more likely that HR will climb as it becomes more difficult to hold the designated speed, as the test is only going to be 2-3 minutes max - as soon as you lose your designated speed, you stop. The point is though, that it doesn't actually matter what your HR does in that sense. On a 20 minute threshold interval, your HR may well drift down, after rising initially.

lukesdad

I know what a limit test is, thank you. I was describing a simple fitness test involving an HRM. Which would seem to be what some of the posters on here are after.Its allready been pointed out an HRM is not the best method for testing fitness. If I were still racing would I use an HRM for fitness testing....no. ( when I was racing the test I used was a little more involved than the one described :smile: but it wasn't the only test I used ) Would I use a power meter.... probably , however they were not available then. As Ive allready stated HRMs are usefull tools, and I would still be using one not to gauge my fitness but to have a daily reference point during training periods.

I know what a limit test is, thank you. I was describing a simple fitness test involving an HRM. Which would seem to be what some of the posters on here are after.Its allready been pointed out an HRM is not the best method for testing fitness. If I were still racing would I use an HRM for fitness testing....no. ( when I was racing the test I used was a little more involved than the one described :smile: but it wasn't the only test I used ) Would I use a power meter.... probably , however they were not available then. As Ive allready stated HRMs are usefull tools, and I would still be using one not to gauge my fitness but to have a daily reference point during training periods.

Sorry - earlier I thought you said you did a 'fitness test based on HR'. Must have misunderstood.

I used to do a fitness test years ago based on HR every couple of months.

lukesdad

No you didn't misunderstand, I did many years ago use an HRM for a test, but not the simple one I described earlier. By the way how are things on the leftside ? ;)

keith brown

Two articles I have found both informative and fairly clear, firstly an old article on the web - BikeRadar by Harry Blackwood, cycling plus(http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/) and a recent article in Cycling Fitness (Sept - Nov 2013) by Andrew Hamilton called "going for the burn". I have to say that as a newcomer I found these very helpful and am still working my way into the practical application. The problem I find is that whichever max HR option you choose, and I have seen three different calculations which make my 64 year old ticker range from 156 to 173, it seems the only way is to go out and do the hard work of extending yourself, all seem to agree on this point as the most accurate.

VamP

Banned
I got as far as the four hour base building session and my eyes glazed over... honestly there are much better ways of training than this old tosh.

Fat burning ... drone ... drone ... zzz

I too just got a Garmin heart rate monitor/strap

The Calculated or estimated figures are clearly rubbish, you need to do a test. I tried doing one - may need better weather but at least I have a first estimate of max HR

Top Bottom