New to heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary Stanley

I've just recently invested in a Garmin 810 and now have my resting and maximum heart rates. I've been trying to get my head round the different zones. I initially want fat burning zone and then stamina....any one got a "dummies guide" to HR zones ???

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are absolutely bucket loads of guides, all it takes is to type "HR training" or similar into Google, or you could buy one of the thousands of books on the subject.

I've just recently invested in a Garmin 810 and now have my resting and maximum heart rates. I've been trying to get my head round the different zones. I initially want fat burning zone and then stamina....any one got a "dummies guide" to HR zones ???

A couple of questions, just for clarity...

First - how have you established your max heart rate? Second - what do you mean by 'fat burning zone'? Such a thing does not really exist in any meaningful sense.

cervelo chic

Training Peaks is a good website - once you have uploaded some rides it can tell you your own heart rate zones (threshold, vo2 max etc), then once its worked out the HR zones you put it on the garmin and when out riding you can ride in whatever zone you are aiming for (your garmin will tell you what zone your heart rate is at when out riding) - for me I aim to be in zone 4.
Hope this makes sense

The zones you are talking about are zone 1 (the fat burning zone) which is below 65% of your max HR, the next is zone 2 (the stamina zone) which is 65% - 84% of your max HR. This is the zone where carbohydrates are burned (as long as you replenish your body with carbohydrates during a ride). Zone 3 is the next zone at 85% - 94% of max HR. When you are in zone 2 you are exercising aerobically but in zone 3 you are exercising anaerobically where you stop burning carbohydrates and start burning glycogen which you have a limited supply of (about 2 hours). Zone 4 is the last zone which is at a heart rate of > 94%. This is where a lot of glycogen is being used and is used for intense training intervals. Zone 4 should be rarely used.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The zones you are talking about are zone 1 (the fat burning zone) which is below 65% of your max HR, the next is zone 2 (the stamina zone) which is 65% - 84% of your max HR. This is the zone where carbohydrates are burned (as long as you replenish your body with carbohydrates during a ride). Zone 3 is the next zone at 85% - 95% of max HR. W
You do realise there is no such thing as a fat burning zone?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There is no such thing as discrete "zones" full stop! It is an arbitrary construct imposed on a continuous system.

But what the hell, fat burning zone, sounds cool! I need to get me some of that! Is it best done on the flat or in the hills? Maybe on the turbo or even on the couch with your legs in the air?

You do realise there is no such thing as a fat burning zone?
You are right, zone 1 is technically not called a fat burning zone but apparently this is the zone that uses the fat stored in the body as fuel for cycling according to Chris Carmichael (p10. The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling, by Edmund R. Burke, PhD and Ed Pavelka).

Top Bottom