New to heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelcycle

You are right, zone 1 is technically not called a fat burning zone but apparently this is the zone that uses the fat stored in the body as fuel for cycling according to Chris Carmichael (p10. The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling, by Edmund R. Burke, PhD and Ed Pavelka).

It's true that lower intensity work favours fat metabolism (as opposed to using solely fat) which in turn correlates with the use of aerobic rather than anaerobic pathways - so good for establishing a solid base.

However, the zones are not discrete boundaries no more than rep ranges in weight training are discrete. You get a mix of adaptations usually although one on is generally more favoured.

Personally I think HR training does have use but I have been referred to training using power output as being a more reliable method of guaging work and from what I have read so far that does seem to be correct (I am fairly new to cycling but not exercise phsyiology.)

I think if you use HR training as a recreational cyclist you will see many positive results but if you want to ramp up results then you would drill down on measuring power output.

It's true that lower intensity work favours fat metabolism (as opposed to using solely fat) which in turn correlates with the use of aerobic rather than anaerobic pathways - so good for establishing a solid base.

However, the zones are not discrete boundaries no more than rep ranges in weight training are discrete. You get a mix of adaptations usually although one on is generally more favoured.

Personally I think HR training does have use but I have been referred to training using power output as being a more reliable method of guaging work and from what I have read so far that does seem to be correct (I am fairly new to cycling but not exercise phsyiology.)

I think if you use HR training as a recreational cyclist you will see many positive results but if you want to ramp up results then you would drill down on measuring power output.
I suppose you are right because everyone is an individual and heart rates would differ for aerobic/anaerobic exercising but for general purposes for a cyclist who has only him/herself to do their training the zones that I have given could be used. If they had a personal coach/trainer then a true representation of the zones could be worked out.

Garz

Squat Member
Get out there and enjoy the riding first and foremost. When you start to plateau then look into alternative 'training' techniques experimenting with ideas that hopefully you respond to.

As for power meters, you are now encroaching onto the very committed cyclist who let's be honest is not going to get much from the average cycle chat member and should definitely not be scorning others as to feel superior. Power meters cost more than most peoples bikes, so you either have money to burn or fall into the category mentioned in the previous sentence.

Good evening.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I use a heart rate monitor on a regular basis whilst riding.
I wouldn't say I use it for training to get fitter. I use it so that I don't 'overcook' it on rides and keep within my comfort zone, so to speak.
Regular monitoring of my resting heart rate also gives me an indication of my overall physical fitness.
During a ride I like to keep my average HR around the upper levels of Zone 2 and lower levels of Zone 3.
It works for me and stops me getting over fatigued, especially on longer rides.

Garz

Squat Member
I use a heart rate monitor on a regular basis whilst riding.
I wouldn't say I use it for training to get fitter. I use it so that I don't 'overcook' it on rides and keep within my comfort zone, so to speak.
Regular monitoring of my resting heart rate also gives me an indication of my overall physical fitness.
During a ride I like to keep my average HR around the upper levels of Zone 2 and lower levels of Zone 3.
It works for me and stops me getting over fatigued, especially on longer rides.

First sensible and concise post! Good job Joe.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Exactly how do you use a heart rate monitor? Do you strap it round your chest and analyse readings when you get home? Do you get readings as you go along?

Exactly how do you use a heart rate monitor? Do you strap it round your chest and analyse readings when you get home? Do you get readings as you go along?
You get a near 'real time' reading as you go along. Assuming you know the type of ride you are aiming for (eg low level, threshold intervals, etc) then the HRM will help you to target the appropriate effort level.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The best indication of your fitness is the recovery rate not the resting heart rate. Check how many beats after your first minute of recovery. So if it drops 30 beats in that minute, it's so so, if it drops 45 then it's very good. The more it drops is an indication of the fitter you are getting. So monitor that to get a better indication of your fitness. Resting hr is not always a sign of how fit you are.

lukesdad

The majority of people on this site are OK and they give good advice, but there is the occasional dick that gives no advice and puts in downgrading comments
I'll think you 'll find the 2 dicks you refer to have given more sound advice on these pages than anyone else ! They have more patience than me that's for sure, I admire their longevity in dealing with the same subjects over and over again.

Biker Joe

Über Member
The best indication of your fitness is the recovery rate not the resting heart rate. Check how many beats after your first minute of recovery. So if it drops 30 beats in that minute, it's so so, if it drops 45 then it's very good. The more it drops is an indication of the fitter you are getting. So monitor that to get a better indication of your fitness. Resting hr is not always a sign of how fit you are.
Yes I agree with you there.:thumbsup: Recovery rate is the best indication of physical fitness.
I probably should not have said," overall physical fitness". but rather," overall general health". I find that an increase in resting heart rate usually indicates that I am coming down with something and I can take the appropriate action and, hopefully, nip it in the bud before it takes hold.( Not always successfully I might add ^_^). It gives me a forewarning however.
As I said. I don't use the HRM to get fitter but to keep myself in reasonable parameters so that I don't overdo it.
Good point you made though.:thumbsup:

VamP

Banned

Erm.... the best indicator of fitness is performance. HR isn't very good at telling us much about fitness, it's a proxy and there are many factors.

Top Bottom