new (to me) cx bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After having problems with my spine for a few years I gave up on drop bar bars for a few years, lately I haven't been feeling quite so bad after riding the flat bar mountain bike so..... fingers crossed I thought its about time to give drops another go.
I found this at a good price not too far away, purchased a new pair of Schwalbe tyres(700x35) this morning, fitted them and a quick clean up , not done chain and cassette yet ,and still need to change pedals, so all good to go, but not in todays fekin wind and rain. will see what tomorrow brings.
IMG_0727.JPG

pjd57

Veteran
Thought about getting a cross for the drop bars for ages. Wasn't sure how it would be after years of a hybrid with flatbars.

Bought one two weeks ago and it's been great so far.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Congratulations @roadrash - did you get out for a ride today? I bet it feels brilliant to be progressing back onto drops after the injury.

Nice bike, too!

@pjd57 - yours is a very similar story to mine! I started out mountain biking on trails then bought a hybrid for commuting and started to use it for road leisure rides. Unfortunately my hybrid was stolen but I've used it as an opportunity to upgrade and have purchased a CX bike. It's my first drop bar bike and so far I am enjoying it, but I need to work on my core strength! I went CX and put some rad tyres on it because it's got all the eyelets for a rack and guards so a great "do everything" bike. I also liked the lime green colour. :wub:
:blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your back feels better because you've been cycling and cycling is excellent for strengthening the muscles around the spine.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
I will certainly let you know how it goes @biggs682 . your probably right @Globalti , but for a long time it was a vicious circle of go for a ride and suffer the pain for days after, I got to the point where it wasn't worth it and didn't ride for a while, decided to give it another go and although I still suffer for it, it isn't quite as bad as it was. I just hope it lasts and doesn't go to how I was previously, ive missed getting out on the bike too long

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
heres fingers crossed for you

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just a thought, if it isn't comfortable, I would look at changing the stem to something a little shorter with some rise on it. The one on the bike looks 100mm plus with little or no rise. You can pick up a new stem for a tenner.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
finally managed a ride this morning , only 10k down the canal bank, @Hacienda71 was correct in his observations, it does feel a little stretched out, so , if anyone has a ... say ...70mm or 80mm stem with a bit of rise, preferably cheap as chips, till I find out if its right for me I would be grateful, I'm off to post the same in the wanted section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom