New to me - Dawes Double Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
An old one with V brakes. Anyone know the history of these? Is it a GB made or Taiwan?
3174E696-A3D1-49F8-A8D2-F9AD4FE6F10D.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You will need those "L" plates if it's your first tandem
But either way enjoy it
Mot sure but i bet Taiwan

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This needs looking into carefully. The 1993 model was fillet brazed 531 throughout and the 1994 was 653. If the frame turns out to be Reynolds I think you can say with a 99.9% degree of certainty that it was made in Birmingham.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If the colour is original then it's not from 93 or 94 though. The catalogues from those years are here:

93 Dawes

94 Dawes

Whilst the Edge was around in 1990, they hadn't turned it into a Tandem at that stage. So possibly 1991 or 92?

Definitely from this era though. I think all there frames from this era were made in Birmingham?

OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Looks like a stretched MTB are they 26” wheels?
Yes 26” I believe it is a double up of the normal Dawes Edge MTB

OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
I have been fitting mudguards and a rack to it. It turns out that none of the fastening ports are threaded, I have had to get the tap and die set out.

OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
If the colour is original then it's not from 93 or 94 though. The catalogues from those years are here:
93 Dawes
94 Dawes

Whilst the Edge was around in 1990, they hadn't turned it into a Tandem at that stage. So possibly 1991 or 92?

Definitely from this era though. I think all there frames from this era were made in Birmingham?
I really like the colour. It’s sort of a metal flake orange. It has chipped in places and the aluminium has oxidised, lifting the paint.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'd always assumed all early nineties Dawes like my own Super Galaxy were built in Birmingham, however @SkipdiverJohn had me intrigued. Looking in the 94 catalogue I linked to, is the following quote:

"and it means every single Dawes frame is constructed to painstaking standards - from the meticulous hand-building of our fillet brazed frames to the precise quality control checks of our Tig welded versions"

So whilst there not directly saying that the Tig frames are built overseas, it's a fair assumption to make from this.

Whilst tandems are not my thing, this is an unusual and lovely looking bike and the orange really sets it off.

Top Bottom