New to mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
I'm after some advice and I know its personal preference. But just a rough Idea would help me.

Been offered a Giant Talon 2 for £250. Now this is 18mnths old

I can get the 2020 model for £600. So is the 2nd hand a good price or not? Also is that bike any good for a newcomer to mtb?

I done a bit of mtbing about 25yrs ago.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

iluvmybike

Über Member
Its a perfectly good standard bike for anyone newcomer or otherwise. The fork isn't fantastic but serviceable. On the 2nd hand price - who can say? It depends on the state of it. If looked after and well-maintained then it may be a good price if not then it isn't. Best to take along a pal who knows a bit about bikes/bike maintenance. If buying 2nd hand then you need to ride the bike & check it changing gears, brakes work, seatpost can be adjusted, forks bounce, nothing loose on it etc.

OldShep

Über Member
My methods of valuing a bike... look at sold prices on EBay
How I calculate value of s/h
If new price was £600 then £120 of that was tax
the price of the new bike was £480
its now an old bike and any guarantees are now lost because you aren’t the original owner. if it’s immaculate and I mean immaculate I could go upto 60% of new bike price If I really wanted it. If it’s used then start at 50% and work down by age and by taking off the cost of everything you’re likely to have to buy for it in the next year. ( fork servicing, tyres, chain etc) YHMV.
Of the last two bikes I’ve bought the last was a few weeks old and I got it for 50%
Before that it was 5 yo bike with around 100 mls on the clock and I paid 20%

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
What brand of mtb should I be looking at as a good starter bike? Maybe a good frame but slightly poor components that can be upgrade.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most are fine. TBH I can't fault my Boardman FS Pro, but there are a few hard tails around second hand that are good value. You need to give them a good going over as knackered brakes or drive chain can be expensive, and of course check bearings are smooth, as the thing can be a money pit. If it's not been used 'properly' then is could be a bargain.

PS Hard tails are cheaper - less suspension to go wrong. Forks - ideally Rockshox or Fox, but these will push the price up, and if they haven't been looked after then they could be expensive to repair, so check they work.

My wife's MTB was second hand, but I bought it off someone on here, and I knew it had been looked after, and not ridden that much. All it needed was a good clean and the brakes bleeding.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I'm not worried about it needing a bit of work and can happily carry it out myself. So I may go second hand and can get probably a better bike for the money albeit a bit older.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not worried about it needing a bit of work and can happily carry it out myself. So I may go second hand and can get probably a better bike for the money albeit a bit older.

All good then. Just look out for rocks, trees and roots, they all jump out at you.:wacko:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wouldn’t focus on a brand, just have a budget in mind and see what turns up. I got my hardtail used on Facebook Marketplace for a song, getting a barely-ridden carbon-fibre bike with reasonable components for half its new price. It is a Cube if it matters.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Well Ive just picked this up today. Few Mark's on it but overall very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20200123_123056.jpg
    20200123_123056.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200123_123100.jpg
    20200123_123100.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom