New to Sportive question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the clarification, I've clearly over thought this and I think I now just need a pint of "man the f*ck up". :blush:

'Over thought' is one way of putting it, but thinking about a big ride in advance and preparing for it is all part of the fun and anticipation.

I'm sure we all do it, go through the route over and over, fettle the bike, buy stuff to eat, agonise over clothing selection, etc etc.

JohnnyRoyal

Good luck, and have fun. I'm very much interested in how you get on, do let us know.

Well I survived my first sportive! Got to the start at 0830 and off I went. Had a good first half of the race and enjoyed the cake at the first feed station and in fact at the next feed station as well!!
However by the time I was in miles 40-56 and in territory that I have never rode before today, my legs started to burn and the hills got bigger and harder! However I plodded on and got to the finish in 3hrs 32 mins, with an average of 15.8 mph. I was pleased with that and my first sportive.
It was a great day and I enjoyed a ride on roads that I have never been down before and saw some great places. Also there was a good club feel with most of the riders.
I will do another one sometime but must work on my hill riding before!

You will have a great time Canucks and best of luck for your ride and let us know how it goes.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well I survived my first sportive! Got to the start at 0830 and off I went. Had a good first half of the race and enjoyed the cake at the first feed station and in fact at the next feed station as well!!
However by the time I was in miles 40-56 and in territory that I have never rode before today, my legs started to burn and the hills got bigger and harder! However I plodded on and got to the finish in 3hrs 32 mins, with an average of 15.8 mph. I was pleased with that and my first sportive.
It was a great day and I enjoyed a ride on roads that I have never been down before and saw some great places. Also there was a good club feel with most of the riders.

You will have a great time Canucks and best of luck for your ride and let us know how it goes.
I know a lot of those roads. Rode some of them today actually!

I'm keen to hear how you get on as well...similar circumstances but with only 2 days to go!
Doing the Wooler Wheel on Saturday, never done one before, will be riding 36 miles with 2600ft of elevation which is over 1000ft more than I have ever done on any ride before (42 miles, 1600 ft last weekend in rushed preparation for this haha). Really nervous about it, nearly dropped out on Wednesday as dont think I can do it, but a healthy does of (some of the replies on here i.e MTFU) from my 'mates' made me see sense and am still going to do it.
I get what people are saying "its just a bike ride" etc, but I really do overthink things and have been worried all week about if I can do it or not :-(

Time will tell !

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Well just an update incase anyone comes across this. Massively overthought it! Was just a super friendly informal event, very well organised, very well marshalled etc. Managed to do it all with no problem, except the one big hill where I had to walk for 50 yards - all that worry over nothing !

Good on you! I finished mine with no bother too. 63 miles, and no walking... wife has been inspired to do a 60 in May and my next target is a 100 mile. You (and many others who offered advice) were right, "just do it " is the mantra.

oldroadman

Veteran

It's not a race despite what some (including some silly organisers) want to think. Keep away from race mode, unless of course you actually want to traian a bit a pin on a number sometime, then find out what a race feels like. A sportive is a chance to have a decent ride with people who may just extend you a little. Most important get into your own pace and enjoy the thing...

Top Bottom