New to tandems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beetlejuice

Hi all,

i'm looking for a tandem for myself and wife but i'm unsure about what size would be suitable? I'm 6ft and ride a size large road and cx bike (both Giant make). My wife is 5'9" and she has a size medium BTwin MTB - anyone any ideas what size tandem would suit us please?
Also is there any benefit of going 26" wheels rather than 700c on a tandem?
Flat bars or road bars? Or is it personal preference?
Lastly, can someone explain how the pedalling works i.e. does the front rider always have to be pedalling or both? or can the rear rider freewheel while the front is still pedalling?

Thanks

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Coincidentally, I saw this on FB this morning
View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/270794323473856/

Not sure if it's a bit far for you, but you could still ask the seller about sizing

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Also is there any benefit of going 26" wheels rather than 700c on a tandem?
Flat bars or road bars? Or is it personal preference?
Lastly, can someone explain how the pedalling works i.e. does the front rider always have to be pedalling or both? or can the rear rider freewheel while the front is still pedalling?

Thanks

We have a Raleigh mtb style tandem which runs 26" wheels with flat bars and we find that very comfy i am 5ft 10" other half is 5ft 7"ish , previous tandems we have had were 700c equipped but because we can run wider tyres we find this a lot more comfy , so my advice if just for leisure rides go for a 26" with flats if you are intending to race then 700's and drops but i suppose its what is most comfy for both .

And as for pedaling yes afraid so if one pedals so does the other rider unless they take there feet off the pedals

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I can't help with sizing, but I (we) ride a 26" wheel Dawes Duet and are rather new to it. My 11yr old daughter and I are just getting the hang of things, and once that's sorted my good wife will have a go too.
I think wheel size, bar shapes are all personal preference.
Both riders need to pedal at the same time, though I'm told for a (significant) price you can get a fancy arrangement allowing either just the pilot,or the stoke to pedal..

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
There's a tandem for sale currently on the Tandem Club web site which looks like it'd suit you. The one in Staffs. (I'm not connected with or know the seller). Within reason you can change things to fit, but for starters something like a 22" front and 17" rear would suit you. That one is 21/17.
I'm looking for another tandem, my wife is much smaller than me and I'd like to fit a suspension seat post (important as the stoker can't see upcoming bumps) and her seat post is already down as far as it'll go.
Second hand tandems aren't common, so if a decent one comes up near you, grab it, they're great fun.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@beetlejuice
We have a flat bar Thorn Raven tandem 26” wheels, rohloff hub gear. It is super comfy! The downside it it’s heavy and slow.

We also have a Landescape drop bar road bike tandem. Slightly less comfortable ride wise, but more speed.

Will you be touring or day rides?

I assume your wife will be on the back? Get her a thudbuster seat post- it can be harsh on the back.

JD tandems near Skipton or Bicycles by Design in Coalport or Thorn in Somerset can size you.
They will also do test rides and experience days.

Grafham/Rutland cycles have hire bikes that you can play on.

Where are you based?

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Initially it will just be day rides - we have commitments at home that prevent us from touring at the minute but it is a possibility in the future.

Thudbuster seatpost - noted :okay:

We are South East Northumberland - about 10 miles north of Newcastle.

We managed to have a ride on an old Dawes one yesterday and loved it so the search is now on for our own :dance:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I can see a 2014 Dawes Galaxy Twin but no pictures or sizes showing - is that the one you mean?
Yes, that's the one, I e-mailed the seller who told me the size and sent a couple of photos.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We're the same sizes as you, we got a Viking tandem [20"/17'] with flat bars to see if we liked tandeming and both love the freedom and the shared laughs.

We bought it in Cockermouth and brought it over on a roof rack with the tandem carrier that came with it- very easy- though we're ready for an upgrade now after 5 years use at weekends.

Ours is second hand [£450] when we got it and the furthest we've been in one go is to Whitley Bay and back [38 miles] - decent enough mechanics- triple + 7 gear cassette [Acaro] with Tektro brakes and good, rigid frame- a bit heavier than some but comfortable. I put a 32 cog on the rear as the bottom gear was 28-28 on the original which made hills tiring but we've not got off to push yet! Mrs A_T likens it to riding with electric assist!

The front and rear pedals are linked so you pedal or free-wheel together, surprised us how quickly you get used to it. I clip in but my wife prefers not to so she has pedals with clips on one side.

Plan is to do the C2C on it with a couple of friends who also tandem, but next year after we retire, taking 4 or 5 days this time!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
There’s a Univega for sale in Norwich - with roof rack - on Tandem Club website.
You could make that fit.
Looks like it’s reasonable value for a starter bike.

Don’t hang about too long. You’re wasting a lot of time with a beaming smile on your face.

We’ve a Cliff Shrubb from the eighties, super-light racing frame. Two up on the flat lanes of East Yorkshire we can travel as far and as fast as any Sunday drivers.

If you’re riding in hilly land, consider a stoker brake.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
If you have very strong legs get a three speed, and a good divorce lawyer.
You’re unlikely to find a decent secondhand machine on your doorstep. Do proper research on what you want first, and be prepared to wait.
A secondhand lightweight frame we wanted only comes up maybe once or twice a year.
The Tandem Club is a good place to look, and the link I gave is for a decent machine.
Have you thought about hiring a tandem for a weekend to see if it suits? That way you would get a decent bike to try out, and some help with getting started, along with a weekend away.

Top Bottom