New to tandems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
You'll need a good spread of gears, going uphill can be slow, so a 3 speed won't cut it I'm afraid.
As woodenspoons says, be prepared to wait and be prepared to travel a bit for the right one. I wanted a steel frame touring one and it took a few months sporadically looking before one came up a hundred miles from me. To collect it, I took off the wheels, mudguards, racks and it fitted into a VW Golf with the front seat removed.
The tandem club Is a good place to look as the bike will probably have been looked after very well.

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Thanks Tail End and Woodenspoons.
The Dawes one which I did like appears to be 21/17 after the owner measured it again and not too far away for me - finishes in 2hrs ish so will be watching it :smile:
I guess I'm not really sure what model/age I want, just something that's not too expensive for our first one and something that's been looked after - don't want a project bike as i've already got an early 80's Peugeot road bike i'm stripping and restoring as well as my day to day bikes

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Great!
To help you get started, the first time you ride it you'll probably think it's hinged in the middle. If the stoker moves a little, it's magnified at the front, but you soon get used to it. Call out when you're changing gear, it helps if it isn't to surprise the stoker. When you stop its important for the stoker to get the pedals in the position you want to set off (I.e left or right at the top). Also call out bumps, the stoker doesn't see what's coming and it gets very jarring if they can't lift up a bit.

Most of all though, enjoy, they're a blast!

Top Bottom