New to the forum, just got to get around the wife now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jugglingphil

Bought my 1st bike when returning to cycling when I left Uni and got some money. Spent far more than I could afford on a Diamond back mountain bike in the shop window I'd fallen for. I didn't know anything expect I wanted it.
That was over 15 years ago, I still ride the that bike (approx 100 miles this month). Over the years I've hardly spent much money on it, and it's given me a lot of pleasure.
If you buy quality and something you love, it'll last and financial justification just isn't necessary.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 1742013, member: 45"]You need to drip-feed. My wife (well both of us really) used to think that sub-£100 was a good price for a bike. Now she thinks nothing of letting me spend £250 on the 6-year-old's latest.[/quote]

Yes - Mr Summerdays used that technique with computers ... I remember that first purchase of over £1000 and that he convinced me (and I thought it was a one off purchase:eek: ) ... now he just goes out and buys the new bits without bothering to run it past me. Bikes we would discuss but more because we both understand the topic, and we have more money than back then when the £1000 was several months mortgage payments with very little left over.

With bikes now - it is more a case of justifying the space they take up rather than the cost.

OP
OP

3DHB

Well I just came out with it and said I'm getting a new bike, to which she replied "You'd better use it then". Happy days. Only problem is I forgot to take my bank card with me when I went to the bike shop. Still it's a very nice bike, I'm going back tomorrow, and the guy there said they quite often do 2 different invoices- one real one and one cheaper to show the other half.
Excited much.

My lady admired the fitness I got from cycling when I met her. She still has reservations about going on the roads, but joined me for some mountain biking last year.
In fact she was doing the downhills faster than me and whooping and hollering all the way down!
Looking forward to this summer.

OP
OP

3DHB

Picked up the bike yesterday, doubt it will stay that clean and pretty for long though. It was too dark when I got home to take it for much more of a spin than up the road and back but looking to get out on it this morning before I go to work this evening. Plus I need to get some photos of it too.
:biggrin:

Altus

Regular
One advantage of the "cycle to work" scheme is even if your not saving alot of money, your paying a reasonable amount each month which is taken straight from your pay. Makes it alot easier to get the better half on side rather than trying to justify buying a £1000 bike directly.

:biggrin: Thats the reason cycle to work benefit was introduced wasnt it. Although its my director now asking me to justify do I really need a second bike in as many years ;)

Top Bottom