New to trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laurentius

Hi everybody

I am new convert to tricycles and I have to say it is great fun, however some things are a dissapointment.

I am discovering, that the so called cycling infrastructure in my city (which was never that good) is totally neglectful of the user on three wheels. The designated paths are not wide enough which means I am having to ride with the general traffic. Not only that I had my first experience of a Juggernaut behind me today, on a minor urban road, however I guess there was an element of schadenfreude there in that it had to go at my pace as there was simply no room to overtake.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I find holding up traffic happens quite often when riding my trikes on busy roads, I try to let them pass as soon as practical as I may be the only one they see and want them to go away with a favourable impression. Even more so when professional drivers are involved as they are earning a living and I'm usually just on a jolly.
The upside of this is it's loads easier to hold your place in the road when that is needed.

OP
OP
Laurentius

Laurentius

I find holding up traffic happens quite often when riding my trikes on busy roads, I try to let them pass as soon as practical as I may be the only one they see and want them to go away with a favourable impression. Even more so when professional drivers are involved as they are earning a living and I'm usually just on a jolly.
The upside of this is it's loads easier to hold your place in the road when that is needed.
To my mind this monster of a truck should never have been on the road where it was, with cars parked on either side. The trouble is these days that every small supermarket is served by deliveries from huge artics, when in my youth the shopkeeper would have been collecting from the wholesaler himself in a van, no larger than a transit.

some of the UK towns are lacking behind , we have in the Brighton area a 25mile section of sustran 2 route that is accessible but some is just unusable . Our e-assist trikes still hold up traffic on some roads but generally we don't have many problems.

regards Emma

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is it worth checking the width of the path and its suitability for people in wheelchairs? though if it's an old narrow road it's maybe not got the room to expand.

OP
OP
Laurentius

Laurentius

I work on the same principle as @FishFright and let following vehicles pass at the first opportunity if there is no obvious point they can overtake , most artic drivers appreciate the courtesy and I would rather have impatient car drivers in front of me rather than behind .

Paul
I only lost the truck when it turned off down another unsuitable road. This is a bus route BTW but you have cars parked on either side so there is only room to go one way. Had the truck met a bus, or a bin wagon coming the other way it would not be nice.

Top Bottom