New to Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
The second point in this is that not all 25mm measure 25mm, some fit true, some fit wide some fit narrow. e.g. brand A would make a "40mm" tyre that really measured 38mm so they could say it was lighter than Brand B's equivalent "40mm" tyre that fitted true. and of course rim width will slightly alter the actual size of a fitted tyre. ETRTO is trying to get more honest sizing in widths.

It would be a good start if manufactures specified at what internal width of rim and pressure a tyre will measure as stated.

I have 38mm that measure 40.5 on the rim.
I have 35mm that measure38 on the rim.
I have just removed some 30mm that measured 32 on the rim, and replaced them with some 32mm (different brand) that measure 32mm on the rim.

It matters if you have limited clearance to fit bigger tyres.

Last edited:
There's generally 2 views on "do i need to carry a tube" when using TL:

1) = no, why on earth would you and my tyres were almost impossible to install at home, let alone by the roadside so there's no way i'm taking one off to "have failed" and put a tube in. These guys will carry extra sealant, valve core tool, worms etc and an inflation method

2) = yes of course as i always want to be able to get home and if that means an inner tube is the solution then why not. It has to be said that changing a TL roadside is an experience most people would want to avoid.....

I'm in the first bunch, carry 60ml of sealant in a tattoo ink tube, worms and tool plus CO2 and hand pump (Co2 is a quick roadside inflation and is swapped out once home as i've found most sealant doesn't like Co2).

I think what influences if you're in group 1 or 2 is the number of bad punctures you may experience (flint on side walls) and how hard your tries were to install in the first place.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
From reading more online and opinions here I will more likely carry a pump, worms and sealant . Most of thr time I'm in a group cycling or with a couple of mates so will have company and will be able to barrow a tube if its needed .

geocycle

Legendary Member
im 6 months into tubeless. Schwalbe pro one 28mmwhich I run at 60 psi. Very happy with ride quality. The only issues have been a bead of sealant which escapes along the seam between the tyre tread face and the sidewall suggesting a weak point. Then yesterday I must have got a puncture which I knew nothing about until I put the bike on its side in the car. A few minutes after I heard air escaping. The sealant must have flowed away from the hole. Not completely flat today so must have sealed I suppose when the pressure fell. Tried to fully reinflate and the hole opened again, have now added more sealant. If this doesn’t work it will have to be a plug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom