New TPT trains and bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Not sure about that I did think the same having checked the rack. But then the reserve screens when I checked only show 4 so official line looks to be 4.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looks like good news: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/onboard-facilities/seating-plan

Both the Civitys (aka Class 397 aka Nova 2) and the Mk5as (aka Nova 3) are built by CAF and the layouts appear to be similar. Sadly the 80x fleet (aka IET aka Nova 1) do indeed appear to be the same hanging spaces as on GWR.
For the 80x fleet, indeed. Exactly the same as GWR.

classic33

Leg End Member
Which ever you get, there's still Arriva's intended policy of banning wheeled transport during peak hours. Up to half nine in the morning, and four whilst half six in the evening. Arriva services don't carry a wheelchair ramp at present, relying on station staff. On the new rolling stock.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It really is awful the paltry amount of space given over to bikes on trains in the UK and the awkward pre-booking. Over here in Germany we're lucky that some of the trains are double decker trains and as such the provision for bikes is fantastic. This is the bike space I get on my commuter train:

View attachment 495339

No pr-booking either, just rock up and travel. It's not all like that though, but for the most part it is vastly superior to the UK.

What's the bike space envy emoji?

classic33

Leg End Member
Posted at 17:18 31 Oct
TransPennine withdraw new Nova trains
TransPennine Express have confirmed some of its brand new Nova trains are being withdrawn due to a software fault.

The company said the fault was with two of its Nova 3 train sets which operate some services between Liverpool and Scarborough.

The affected trains will be replaced by Class 185 trains until the Nova 3 is back in service, TransPennine said.

No time has been given for the trains to be returned to service.

"During maintenance and fault-finding on one of our new Nova 3 train sets, we discovered a software issue and as a precaution we have decided to hold the trains on depot until the issue is fixed. We are now working with our manufacturer CAF on the development, testing and validation of the necessary software update and expect to bring our Nova 3 trains back into service shortly.”

Spokesperson
TransPennine Express

Posted at 17:18 31 Oct
TransPennine withdraw new Nova trains
TransPennine Express have confirmed some of its brand new Nova trains are being withdrawn due to a software fault.

The company said the fault was with two of its Nova 3 train sets which operate some services between Liverpool and Scarborough.

The affected trains will be replaced by Class 185 trains until the Nova 3 is back in service, TransPennine said.

No time has been given for the trains to be returned to service.

"During maintenance and fault-finding on one of our new Nova 3 train sets, we discovered a software issue and as a precaution we have decided to hold the trains on depot until the issue is fixed. We are now working with our manufacturer CAF on the development, testing and validation of the necessary software update and expect to bring our Nova 3 trains back into service shortly.”

Spokesperson
TransPennine Express

I was on one on Monday from Manchester (SCA-LIV, loco hauled so a Nova3). I must've been on a freshly upgraded one, very, very new as no TPE livery just grey gloss basecoat.
Bike spaces had 3 tyre slots on both sides of carriage but I think you'd only get one bike on each side, and the extra slots are decorative/allow different pitches from wall. Nice enough carriages.
I also traveled on a N1 to Manchester (LIV-NCL) but all the auto announcements and displays had Edinburgh Waverley - which isn't running yet. Didn't see the bike racks.

ChrisPAmbulance

The loco-hauled ones (class 68 "cats" and MkVa coaches) apparently are bookable as little as 15mins ahead (rather than the day before) and that's switched on for bike spaces now, but won't be switched on for seats until all of the cats are in service.
It's nice to know that trains are still attracting silly nicknames as they did in the 70s/80s when we had Siphons, Hoovers, Choppers, Duffs, Rats, Gronks etc... ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's nice to know that trains are still attracting silly nicknames as they did in the 70s/80s when we had Siphons, Hoovers, Choppers, Duffs, Rats, Gronks etc... ^_^
The 65-year-old Gronks are still in use, joined by Cats and also Sheds, Skips, Skodas, Happys, Plastic Pigs and many more. Some names are now official - for example, Junipers, Javelins, Aventras and Desiros - including IMO the daftest recent one: Flirts (Fast Light Inter Regional Trains). But I'll excuse that because it has proper bike spaces for up to six on a three car and up to eighteen on a twelve.

ChrisPAmbulance

The 65-year-old Gronks are still in use, joined by Cats and also Sheds, Skips, Skodas, Happys, Plastic Pigs and many more. Some names are now official - for example, Junipers, Javelins, Aventras and Desiros - including IMO the daftest recent one: Flirts (Fast Light Inter Regional Trains). But I'll excuse that because it has proper bike spaces for up to six on a three car and up to eighteen on a twelve.
I like Northern Rail staff's attitude of "We far too busy to count how many bikes you are trying to cram onto our train" - At least on the Ulverston - Barrow run they are.

Top Bottom