New Track Pump revelation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know it is stating the obvious, but I have to accept that Buying the cheapest item you can find very rarely works out affective.

I needed a pump for my new bike and after trying really hard accepted that my foot pump and 9 V compressor pump were not going to work, so looked at investing in a new track pump. as with everything in biking, I have realised I am significantly out of touch with today's prices!

I was lucky enough (so I thought) to find a Bell track pump in Asdas for a reasonable price, but as you can imagine it was rubbish. It leaks and does not provide an adequate seal on the Valve. It will probably be returned

Finally I used the search facilities on this forum, and a couple of others and splashed out on a Joe blow sport 2 (£30 Delivered from Evans)

Having just pumped up my tyres I can only comment on how impressed I am. I attached it, couple of pumps, then disconnected when it was at the right pressure all as simple as it should be I guess.

Sorry, bit of a ramble but for me (and maybe a few others) it was a point that I will learn from!

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
I just got one from EBC £17.99 . Iv'e never used one before and cant believe the difference it makes .

Basil.B

Guru
Just got a Joe Blow Sprint
thumbsup.png

sheddy

Legendary Member
Has anyone bought a car tyre pump (with gauge) and then fitted a presta valve holder to it ? Thats gotto to be the cheapest way (?)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Cheap, but not all that good.
Car tyres need mahoosive amounts of air at low pressure - 35 psi or so.
Bike tyres need next-to-no air at high pressure - 60 psi for an MTB and 120+psi on a road bike.
A decent track pump costs around £20 and will last for ever. That's pretty cheap in my book.

OP
OP
Kevs-the-name

Kevs-the-name

Regular
I agree with TheDoctor as I suggested in my post. Neither a Foot pump with valve adapter, nor the 9v car pump were able to pump the tyres beyond 30psi. Even that was an effort with LOTS of leakage.

New Joe Blow track pump... NO LEAK, couple of pumps... 85psi DONE

FAB

Our Halfords foot pump manages to get my Hybrid's tyres to about 5.9 bar quite easily. Not tried it with the road bike though.

My small hand pump manages to get my road bikes tyres to 8 bar, but with quite a bit of arm ache.

I bought a Joe Blow Sport II from JE James for about 26 pounds and it can get my road bike tyres to above 8.5 bar with minimal effort.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Quite some years ago- when I only had one bike and rode it to work- I went to the bike shop to get a track pump after someone suggested they were very useful things to have.

It was just short of £40 quid- the only model they had, I didn't shop around. I doubt I'll ever need another, unless the shed burns down.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Ramble away Kevs-The-Name, it's how we all find out what or what not to buy :thumbsup:

I bought an expensive mini pump (Lezyne) and track pump (Blackburn), looks like they're gonna be very good value
over the years :biggrin:

Top Bottom